|Present||Professor, San Jose State University ‐ Nutrition, Food Science, and Packaging|
Honors and Awards
- • Guardians of Health Award, California Center for Public Health Advocacy (2013)
- • Honorable Mention
- Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move! Faith and Communities Video Challenge (2012) http://letsmovecommunities.devpost.com/submissions/6908-sjsu-mht-food-justice-communities-on-the-move-video-challenge
- • Advisor to MHT Food Justice, recipient of the CASA Outstanding Student Organization, Committee to Enhance Equity and Diversity (CEED) Award (2012)
- • Outstanding Early Career Investigator Award, SJSU Research Foundation (2011)
- • Provost’s Award for Excellence in Service Learning (2009)
- • YMCA Activate America Community Award (2008)
- • Network for a Healthy California, Champions for Change Award (2008)
- • Outstanding Dietetic Educator Award, California Dietetic Association (2008)
- Current Topics in Nutrition
- Advanced Nutrition Education
- Community Nutrition
|September 1985||Ph.D., University of California, Davis ‐ Nutritional Science|
|September 1980||M.S., University of California, Davis ‐ Nutritional Science|
|May 1976||B.A., University of Rochester ‐ Biology|
Research Publications (34)
Canned Vegetable and Fruit Consumption Is Associated with Changes in ...
Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (2016)
Background Canned vegetables and fruit (CV+CF) are ubiquitous throughout the food supply. Yet information regarding their specific contribution to nutrient ...
Examining a New “Pay-as-You-Go” Community-Supported Agriculture (CSA) Model: A Case ...
Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition (2016)
In the traditional community-supported agriculture (CSA) model, members “pay up-front” for a seasonal subscription to the farm and receive, in ...
A Collaborative Approach to Providing Best-Practice Childhood Feeding Guidance
International Journal of Child Health and Nutrition (2013)
Objective: To examine whether training on Division of Responsibility, provided to members of a childhood feeding collaborative, increased familiarity, knowledge, ...
Point-of-Purchase Nutrition Information Influences Food-Purchasing Behaviors of College Students: A ...
Journal of the American Dietetic Association (2011)
The goal of point-of-purchase (POP) nutrition information is to help consumers make informed, healthful choices. Despite limited evaluation, these population-based ...
Point-of-Selection Nutrition Information Influences Choice of Portion Size in an ...
Journal of Foodservice Business Research (2011)
There is limited information about point-of-selection nutrition information on food choices in all-you-can-eat university dining halls, where food cost is ...
Early Childhood Feeding: Assessing Knowledge, Attitude, and Practices of Multi-Ethnic ...
Journal of the American Dietetic Association (2010)
Early childhood is a critical period for shaping and influencing feeding and lifestyle behaviors that have implications for future weight ...
Development, Evaluation, and Validation of Environmental Assessment Tools to Evaluate ...
Journal of American College Health (2010)
Objective: To develop, evaluate, and validate 2 nutrition environment assessment tools (surveys), for specific use in combating overweight on college/university ...