|Present||Professor, Utah State University ‐ Communicative Disorders and Deaf Education|
Honors and Awards
- 2009 - Undergraduate Research Mentor of the Year, Emma Eccles Jones College of Education, Utah State University
- 2009 - Undergraduate Research Mentor of the Year, Communicative Disorders and Deaf Education, Utah State University
- 2007 - Invited guest at USU Student-Athlete Services 14th Annual Whitesides Scholar-Athlete Awards Luncheon
- 2007 - Top Professor, Utah State University Mortar Board
- 2005 - Outstanding Alumni Award, The University of Memphis Board of Directors
- 2004-2010 - Inaugural Cadre of Advisors and Board Recognized Specialist, Specialty Board on Child Language
- 2003 and 2005 - Nominated for The College of Arts & Sciences Leadership Board Outstanding Commitment to Students Award
- 2002 - New Investigator Research Award, The American Speech Language and Hearing Association Foundation
Utah State University
Department of Communicative Disorders & Deaf Education
1000 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322-1000
The Effects of Literate Narrative Intervention on Children with Neurologically-Based ...
Journal of Speech, Language, Hearing Research (2010)
Purpose: This study investigated the effect of a literate narrative intervention on the macrostructural and microstructural language features of the ...
Emerging Procedures in Narrative Assessment: The Index of Narrative Complexity
Topics in Language Disorders (2008)
This article summarizes norm-referenced and criterion-referenced measures of narration and introduces a new criterion-referenced narrative scoring system called the Index ...
Consulting the Evidence to Provide Treatment for a Preschooler with ...
Perspectives on Language Learning and Education, Division 1 (2007)
Most school-based speech-language pathologists (SLPs) who work with preschool children will provide treatment for moderate to severe phonological impairments (Shewan, ...
Intervention for Preschool Children with Moderate-Severe Phonological Impairment
Evidence Based Practice (EBP) Briefs (2007)
Findings: All five identified studies reported positive outcomes following phonological/articulation intervention. Conclusion: * This review showed that children who receive ...
Making Evidence-Based Decisions about Language Intervention with Primary Grade Children
Perspectives on Language Learning and Education, Division 1 (2006)
Parents of children with disabilities sometimes request specific kinds of services that they have learned about from news stories, the ...
Alternative Assessment of Language and Literacy in Culturally and Linguistically ...
Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools (2003)
Over- and underdiagnosis of language and literacy problems are common with low-socioeconomic status ethnically and racially diverse children. In recent ...
Contributions to Books (6)
Contribution to Book
An Introduction to the Discipline of Communication Sciences and Disorders
Communication Sciences and Disorders: From Science to Clinical Practice (2010)
LEARNING OBJECTIVES: 1. To understand the discipline of communication sciences and disorders. 2. To understand how disorders of hearing, speech, ...