|2015 - Present||Director, Western Washington University ‐ Resilience Institute, Huxley College of the Environment|
|Present||Associate Professor, Environmental Studies, Huxley College of the Environment, Western Washington University|
Honors and Awards
- 2016 Academy Award for equity and inclusivity, Western Wash. Univ. Teaching-Learning Academy
- 2014 National Finalist for Best Student Magazine, Spring 2014 The Planet magazine – The human issue, Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence Awards (Publication adviser)
- 2014 Western Washington University Innovative Teaching Showcase, Blended Learning
- 2013 National Finalist for Best Student Magazine, Winter 2013 The Planet magazine – The policy issue, Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence Awards (Publication adviser)
- 2013 First place, student graphics design/editing, Spring 2013 The Planet magazine – The recovery issue, Washington Press Association (Publication adviser)
- ENVS 465 Disaster Risk Reduction
- ENVS 372 Natural Hazards Planning
- ENVS 476 Disaster Reduction & Emergency Planning Studio
- ENVS 413/414 The Planet magazine
- ENVS 303 Human Ecology and Sustainability
- ESTU 497b Risk Perception and Disasters Seminar
|2005 - 2007||Post-doctoral Fellow, Columbia University ‐ Earth Institute|
|2005||Ph.D., Cornell University ‐ Department of Structural Engineering|
|1996||B.S., University of Washington ‐ Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering|
AH 206, MS 9085
Peer-Reviewed Articles (11)
Resilient campuses: leveraging resources among small- and moderate-sized institutions of ...
Journal of Emergency Management (2014)
Universities and colleges provide students with an opportunity to grow personally and professionally through a structured series of learning experiences. ...
Stability, Sustainability, and Catastrophe: Applying Resilience Thinking to U.S ...
Research in Human Ecology (2011)
Resilience is closely related to notions of sustainability, but emphasizes unpredictable, dynamic environments. As conceptualized in engineering, hazards management, and ...
Edited Book Chapters & Book-Length Publications (7)
Institute Reports (6)
Cascadia Rising: Cascadia Subduction Zone Catastrophic Earthquake and Tsunami Functional ...
Environmental Studies Faculty and Staff Publications (2015)
A large magnitude Cascadia Subduction Zone fault earthquake and tsunami is perhaps one of the most complex disaster scenarios that ...
Regional Market Research of Food Security and Regional Resilience: Whole ...
Environmental Studies Faculty and Staff Publications (2014)
This study draws upon the whole community approach to building local community resilience. A whole community approach ensures essential community ...