|2011 - Present||Professor Emerita, San Jose State University ‐ Emeritus Faculty|
|2011 - Present||Professor Emerita, Child & Adolescent Development, San Jose State University|
Professional Service and Affiliations
|2018||Consultant, Center for Applied Linguistics||2018||Editorial Consultant, Child Development||2017||Consultant, American Councils Research Center||2017||Advisory Committee, National Dual Language Forum||2017||Proposal Reviewer, Standing Committee on Language Education and Research, Education University of Hong Kong||Member, American Educational Research Association||Member, Association for Two Way and Dual Language Education||Member, California Association for Bilingual Education||Member, Society for Research in Child Development|
Honors and Awards
- Research cited in Federal Register, June 28, 2017
- Career Research Award, Two-Way CABE, 2016
- Career Research Award, Association for Two Way and Dual Language Education, 2011
- San Jose State University Foundation Profile of Research 2010
- Promoting Bilingualism Award, Two-Way CABE, 2005
- Faculty Initiatives to Support Student Success award, 2007
- Teacher-Scholar, San Jose State University, 2002
- Wang Family Excellence Award Semi-Finalist for San Jose State University, 2000
- President’s Scholar Award Nomination, 2000, 2005
- Award of Merit for Distinguished Faculty Mentor, San Jose State University, 1999
- Outstanding Contributions in Research, California Association for Bilingual Education, 1998
- Outstanding Professor of the Year nomination, San Jose State University, 1998
- Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, SJSU Chapter
- Society of the Sigma Xi, Full Member, UCLA Chapter
- Meritorious Performance and Professional Promise Award, California State University, 1989, 1996, 2009
- Sabbatical Competition, Fall 1996, Spring 2005
- California State University Faculty Merit, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000
- Seminar in Child Development Research (Graduate)
- Senior Seminar in Child Development (Undergraduate)
- Recent Developments in Second/Foreign Language Education (Graduate)
- Meeting the Needs of Diverse Learners and their Families – Developed course
- Schools and Society/Sociological Foundations (Integrated BA/Credential Program)
- Diverse Children and Family in Schools – Developed course Integrates Mainstreaming and English Language Learning Requirements (Integrated BA/Credential Program)
- Teaching and Learning in the Classroom/Educational Psychology – Developed course
- Language Development and Education (Graduate)
- Developmental Psychology (Graduate and Undergraduate Levels)
- Development of Self in a Culturally Diverse Society (Undergraduate) – Developed course
- Development of Human Potential [Lifespan] (Undergraduate)
- Development of Communicative Competence (Undergraduate) – Developed course
- Multicultural Issues in Child Development (Graduate) – Developed course
- Childhood and Adolescence in a Multicultural Society (Undergraduate) -- Developed course
- Child Bilingualism (Graduate)
|1978 - 1981||PhD, University of California, Los Angeles ‐ Psychology|
|1976 - 1977||M.A., University of California, Los Angeles ‐ Psychology|
|1972 - 1976||B.A., University of California, Santa Barbara ‐ Psychology|
Students’ Perceptions of Bilingualism in Spanish and Mandarin Dual Language ...
International Multilingual Research Journal (2016)
Considerable research documents students’ outcomes in dual language (DL) programs, but there is little examination of students’ perceptions of bilingualism ...
Bilingual and biliteracy skills in young Spanish-speaking low-SES children: impact ...
International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism (2014)
The purpose of this research was to better understand the bilingual and biliteracy skills of Spanish-speaking low-socio-economic status (low-SES) children ...
Student outcomes in one-way, two-way, and indigenous language immersion education
Journal of Immersion and Content-Based Language Education (2014)
This article examines international research on student outcomes in one-way, two-way, and indigenous language immersion education. We review research on ...
Hispanic High Schoolers and Mathematics: Follow-Up of Students Who Had ...
Bilingual Research Journal: The Journal of the National Association for Bilingual Education (2005)
Research shows a serious underrepresentation of Hispanic students entering the math, science, and engineering fields, possibly fueled by a large ...