Honors and Awards
- National Science Foundation Traineeship (1965-1966)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (1965-present)
- American Geophysical Union (1965-present)
- Aeronomy Secretary (1988-1990)
- Member of COSPAR Commission C1 (1988-present)
- Commission G of USNC/URSI (International Union of Radio Science) (1978-present)
- Societe des Ingenieurs et Scientifiques de France (1973-present)
- Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society (1972-present)
- Convenor of Incoherent-Scatter Data Base Workshop, Boulder, CO (1982)
- Co-convenor of two MITHRAS workshops (1983)
- Co-guest editor of Geophysical Research Letters special issue on "The Polar Ionosphere: Early Results from Sondre Stromfjord" (1984)
- SRI Exceptional Achievement Award (1984)
- Co-convener of International Symposium on Large-Scale Processes in the Ionospheric-Thermospheric System, Boulder, CO (1986) and special issue of Annales Geophysicae (1987)
- Co-leader of GITCAD campaigns for CEDAR and WITS (1986-1990)
- Co-leader of CADITS for CEDAR and STEP (1990-1996)
- Organizer or co-organizer of sessions at several COSPAR meetings
- Utah State University Faculty Senate (2006–Present); President (2010-2011)
- Physics 6310 - Solar Terrestrial Physics
Phone: (435) 797-3641
Office: Science Engineering Research (SER) 218e
Temperatures in the Mid-Latitude Mesosphere During Sudden Stratospheric Warmings as ...
American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting. San Francisco, CA. Dec. 2013 (2013)
Sudden Stratospheric Warmings (SSWs) are major disturbances in the polar region of the winter hemisphere that cause major changes in ...
Ground-Based Observations with a Rayleigh-Mie-Raman Lidar from 15-120 km
Fall National Space Grant Meeting. Charleston, SC. Oct. 2013 (2013)
Rayleigh lidar systems have historically made ground-based observations of the upper atmosphere (stratosphere and mesosphere) from 35-90 km. This technology ...
Mesospheric Density Climatologies Determined at Midlatitudes Using Rayleigh Lidar
International Association of Geomagnetism and Aeronomy; Mexico; 2013 (2013)
The original Rayleigh-scatter lidar that operated at the Atmospheric Lidar Observatory (ALO; 41.7°N, 111.8°W) in the Center for Atmospheric and ...
￼Middle Atmosphere Temperature Results from a ￼New, High-powered, Large-Aperture Rayleigh ...
2013 Utah Space Grant Consortium (2013)
In June–July 2012, observations were carried out using the recently upgraded, large-aperture, Rayleigh-scatter lidar system located at the Atmospheric Lidar ...