Political sociology, citizenship and civil society, Comparative economic sociology and global markets, International migration and naturalization, Sociology of work, occupations, and professions, Complex organizations and institutional theory, Comparative, historical and quantitative methodology, and Industrial relations and bargaining theory
Honors and Awards
- <em>Emerald Literati Network Award for Excellence.</em> “Outstanding Author Contribution Award Winner” for 2009 with “The Spirit of the Civil Sphere: Activating Static Conceptions of Volunteerism and Citizenship,” 2010.
- <em>Outstanding Service Award</em>, Department of Sociology, University of Kentucky, 1999-2000.
- <em>Distinguished Contribution to Scholarship Award</em> for the best book in Political Sociology from January 1989 to December 1990, presented by the American Sociological Association, Political Sociology Section, Co-winner, 1991.
- Doctoral examinations passed <em>with distinction</em> University of California, Berkeley, 1981. Areas: Work and Organizations, Political Economy, and Urban Sociology.
- <em>Graduate Student Alumni Award</em>, 1978. California State University, Los Angeles, (University-wide award for academic excellence)
University of Kentucky
College of Arts and Sciences
Department of Sociology
1525 Patterson Office Tower
Lexington, KY 40506-0027
Books and Edited Volumes (9)
Synthetic Strategies in Comparative Sociological Research: Methods and Problems of ...
International Journal of Comparative Sociology (1991)
Synthetic research in comparative/historical sociology involves the integration of internal analysis (within country inference) and external analysis (between country inference). ...