|Present||Associate Dean for Faculty and Academic Affairs, East Tennessee State University ‐ Clemmer College|
|Present||Professor, East Tennessee State University ‐ Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis, Clemmer College|
|Present||Professor, East Tennessee State University ‐ Counseling and Human Services, Clemmer College|
|2012||Project: Counseling DREaM (Digital Recording and Electronic Management)|
|TAF (Technology Access Fee)|
|2010||Project SCENE: School counselor education, needs, and experiences for LGBTQ responsive school counseling|
|American Psychological Foundation|
|Wayne F. Placek Grant|
|Role: Principal Investigator|
|Colleague(s): Goodrich, K. M., & Luke, M.|
|2010||School counselors as educators: MoVIE|
|ETSU Instruction Development Committee|
|2008||We’re all in this together: Small groups with 3 rd grade students|
|Clemmer College of Education Dean’s Mini-grant|
|Colleague(s): Floyd, S.|
|2006||A Partner in Innovation: School Counseling Program Evaluation|
|Clemmer College of Education Dean’s Mini-grant|
|Colleague(s): Shaw, A., & Moore, T.|
Professional Service and Affiliations
|Present||Member, American Counseling Association||Present||Member, American School Counselor Association||Present||Member, Chi Sigma Iota International – Eta Tau Sigma||Present||Site Team Member Volunteer, Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs||Present||NiswongerCARE Leadership Council member, Niswonger Foundation||Present||Member, Southern Association of Counselor Education and Supervision||Present||Member and ALGBTIC Strategic Planning Committee Co-Chair, Tennessee Counseling Association|
Honors and Awards
- 2001 - Recipient of Chi Sigma Iota International Fellowship
- 2001 - Recipient of the William Van Hoose Memorial Award for an Outstanding Student in Counselor Education from the University of Virginia Curry School Foundation
- 2001 - Recipient of a Dean’s Fellowship from the University of Virginia Curry School of Education – Human Services Department representative
- 2001 - Recognition as a Southern Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (SACES) “Emerging Leader”. Virginia Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (VACES) representative.
- 2001 - Recipient of Outstanding Doctoral Student Award Rho Beta Chapter of Chi Sigma Iota University of Virginia
- 2002 - Recipient of Outstanding Doctoral Student Award Chi Sigma Iota International Counseling Professional Honor Society
- 2002 - Recipient of Dissertation Research Grant Curry School of Education – University of Virginia
- 2005 - Nominated for Outstanding Teacher Award – Non-tenured faculty Syracuse University
- 2012 - Outstanding Faculty Chapter Advisor Award, Chi Sigma Iota Counseling International Honor Society
- 2013 - Recipient of the Research in Counselor Education and Supervision Award, Association of Counselor Education and Supervision (with research colleagues Kristopher Goodrich and Melissa Luke).
- 2013 - Recipient of the Counselor Educator of the Year award from the Tennessee School Counselor Association
- ELPA 6220 - Specialist Seminar
- COUN 5150 - Career Development
- COUN 5957 - Intro to Play Therapy
- COUN 6593 - Advanced Internship
- COUN 5010 - Principals and Trends in School Counseling
- COUN 5563 - Advanced Counseling Techniques with Children
- COUN 5561 - Counseling Techniques with Children
- COUN 5570 - Practicum
- COUN 5880 - Internship
- COUN 5555 - Counseling Process and Practice
|May 2002||PhD, Counselor Education, University of Virginia|
|1994||MA, School Counseling, Western Carolina University|
|May 1991||BS, Social/Behavioral Sciences, University of Mary|
PO BOX 70685
Johnson City, TN 37614
Office: 303B Warf-Pickel
Integration of the K-12 LGBTQI Student Population in School Counselor ...
Journal of LGBT Issues in Counseling (2011)
A national survey of 123 school counselor educators investigated how participants integrated K–12 lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning, intersex (LGBTQI) ...
Contribution to Book
Supervising School Counselors: Focusing On The “Other Skills.” Voices from ...
Clinical Supervision in the Helping Professions: A Practical Guide (2010)
This straightforward guide for new and practicing supervisors emphasizes the attainment of skills necessary to effectively supervise others in a ...
National/Regional Refereed Presentations (10)
Supporting School Counselors as Advocates and Allies
Association for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Issues in Counseling (ALGBTIC) Conference (2014)
School counselors are in a unique position to support LGBTQ-identified youth. However, the school setting may not provide a welcoming ...
Beyond Knowledge and Awareness: Promoting Skill Development for LGBQ Competency
Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (2013)
Although advancements have been made in facilitating counselor awareness and knowledge in working with the LGBQ population, counselors identify skills ...