|Present||Professor, University of South Florida|
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, American Psychological Association, Elected 1999 (Division 25, 33)
- 2014 Princeton Lecture Series Fellow
- Gold recipient Mom's Choice Awards (2011): Parenting – Special & Exceptional Needs for Durand, V.M. (2011). Optimistic parenting
- USA Book News' "Best Books 2011" Award, Parenting/Family: Reference Category for Durand, V.M. (2011). Optimistic parenting
- Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Research and Creative Scholarship, University of South Florida St. Petersburg, 2007
- University Award for Excellence in Teaching, State University of New York at Albany, 1991
- Distinguished Reviewer of the Year, Journal of The Association for Persons with Severe Handicaps, 1989
- Award for Excellence in Teaching, Psi Chi, National Honor Society in Psychology, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002
- Article of the Year (1993), In the journal, Augmentative and Alternative Communication, 1995
- Honorary Membership, Golden Key National Honor Society, 1997
- 2015 American Psychological Association’s Jacobson Award for Critical Thinking (Division 33)
- 2017-2018 President-Elect for the American Psychological Association’s Division 33 (Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities/Autism Spectrum Disorders)
- University of South Florida Distinguished University Professor 2020
|Ph.D., State University of New York at Stony Brook|
|M.A., State University of New York at Stony Brook|
|B.A., State University of New York at Stony Brook|
- Office: TER 404
- Phone: 727-873-4774
Peer Reviewed Articles (57)
Functional Communication Training: Thirty Years of Treating Challenging Behavior
USF St. Petersburg campus Faculty Publications (2015)
Thirty years ago, the first experimental demonstration was published showing that educators could improve significant challenging behavior in children with ...
Positive family intervention for severe challenging behvavior I: A multisite ...
USF St. Petersburg campus Faculty Publications (2013)
The present study was a multisite randomized clinical trial assessing the effects of adding a cognitive-behavioral intervention to positive behavior ...
Challenges in evaluating psychosocial interventions for autism spectrum disorders,
USF St. Petersburg campus Faculty Publications (2005)
In 2002, the National Institutes of Health sponsored a meeting concerning methodological challenges of research in psychosocial interventions in Autism ...
Functional communication training: A contemporary behavior analytic intervention for problem ...
USF St. Petersburg campus Faculty Publications (2001)
Problem behaviors such as aggression, self-injury, and tantrums can serve as major obstacles to even the most sophisticated intervention programs. ...
Functional communication training using assistive devices: Recruiting natural communities of ...
USF St. Petersburg campus Faculty Publications (1999)
We evaluated the effectiveness of functional communication training (FCT) as an intervention for the problem behavior exhibited by 5 students ...