|2019 - 2020||TRANSFORMATIVE AND MYSTICAL ASPECTS OF CLOSE ENCOUNTERS WITH WHALES|
|SJSU UG STUDENT RESEARCH GRANT|
|Role: PRIMARY INVESTIGATOR|
|Colleague(s): Zalyn Kieu|
|2017||"Effects of a Service Dog Training Program on PTSD and Anxiety Among Student Veterans."|
|CASA RSCA Infusion Grant|
|2016||“Effects of Sensory Stimulation Types Among Children in a Persistive Vegetative State.”|
|Undergraduate research grant.|
|2014||Multidisciplinary Healthy Aging and Wellness Programs|
|City of San José Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Services|
|Senior Health and Wellness Initiatives Grant|
|Colleague(s): Sadhna Diwan (PI)|
|2013||“Multidisciplinary Healthy Aging and Wellness in Senior Housing: A Training & Evaluation Project.”|
|MidPen Resident Services Corp., MidPen Housing|
Professional Service and Affiliations
|2018 - Present||Member, Strategic Planning Steering Committee (SPSC), SJSU||2017 - Present||Chair, Health Science and Recreation Department, SJSU (curriculum committee)||2014 - Present||Coordinator, Complementary and Alternative Practices minor, Health Science and Recreation Dept., SJSU||2013 - Present||Table Coordinator, Center for Healthy Aging in Multicultural Populations (CHAMP), Annual Senior Wellness Fair, SJSU||2011 - Present||Member, Center for Healthy Aging in Multicultural Populations (CHAMP), SJSU||2011 - Present||Coordinator, RECL 10 GE faculty cohort, Health Science and Recreation Dept., SJSU||2006 - Present||Advisor, Recreation Therapy Association (student club), Health Science and Recreation Dept., SJSU||2002 - Present||Member, California Parks and Recreation Society||2000 - Present||Member, Bay Area Therapeutic Recreation Association||1994 - Present||Member, American Therapeutic Recreation Association|
Honors and Awards
- 2017 California Educator of the Year Award. CPRS, RT Section
- 2014 Service-learning and Community Engagement Awardee
- 2012 California Educator of the Year Award. CPRS, RT Section.
- 2007 Merit and range elevation awarded, San José State University.
- 2005 President’s Global Studies Fellow, Peru.
- 2004 President’s Global Studies Fellow, Costa Rica.
- 1994 Peg Connolly Scholarship Awardee
- 1992 International Association for Experiential Education scholarship
- 2018 Legendary Achievement, BATRA, San Jose.
- HRTM 13E (MUSE) Rites of Passage: The Sacred, Mythic, and Mundane
- HRTM 13E (MUSE) Interpersonal Relationships
- RECL 10 Creating a Meaningful Life
- RECL 94 Outdoor Recreation
- RECL 100W Writing Workshop
- RECL 110 Leisure, Life and Contemporary Society
- RECL 111 Leisure, Culture, and Identity
- RECL 113 Leisure: Philosophy and Education
- RECL 140C Adventure Therapy
- RECL 157 Sustainable Recreation and Ecotourism
- RECL 169 Practicum in Recreation Therapy
- RECL 170A Pre-Intern Workshop
- RECL 170B Internship in Recreation
- RECL 170C Internship in Recreation Therapy
- RECL 184 Study Abroad
- RECL 185 Leisure, Recreation and Aging
- RECL 187 Leisure Education in Recreation Therapy
- RECL 193 RT Interventions for People with Physical Conditions
- RECL 194 Advanced Practices in Recreation Therapy
- RECL 195 Leisure Education and Wellness
- RECL 196A Transition Planning and Inclusion: RT and Adapted Phy Activ
- RECL 197 Recreation Therapy in Mental Health
- RECL 198 Recreation Therapy Assessment and Documentation
- RECL 298 Special Studies
|2008||Doctor of Philosophy, California Institute of Integral Studies ‐ Humanities: Transformative Learning and Change|
|1996||MS, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse ‐ Therapeutic Recreation|
|1992||BS, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse ‐ Recreation Administration|
Susan L. Ross, PhD, CTRS, RTC
Assistant Professor, Public Health and Recreation
San José State University
Peer Reviewed Publications (10)
Prospects and Challenges for Healthy Aging Programs in Multicultural, Subsidized ...
Annual Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America (2014)
Increasing numbers of seniors in subsidized housing are aging in place and experience greater risk for chronic illness and disability ...
Accepted for Publication / In Review / In Preparation (8)
Contribution to Book
Transformative Leisure and Play: Bringing Forth Our Reason for Being
Positive Sociology of Leisure: Contemporary Perspectives on Sociology of Leisure (2020)
This chapter brings forward the notion of transformation as an overarching concept within a positive sociology of leisure. In particular, ...