|July 2006 - Present||Professor; Program Director, Liberty University ‐ School of Education|
Honors and Awards
- President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, Liberty University, 2021.
- Graduate Research Award: Oral Presentation, 3rd Place (with doctoral candidate Rachel Pedigo). Center for Research & Scholarship, Liberty University, 2019.
- Virginia Distinguished Paper Award (with doctoral candidate Michelle Casey), American Educational Research Association (AERA), 2016.
- Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, Liberty University, 2012.
- Virginia Distinguished Paper Award (with Dr. John Pantana), American Educational Research Association (AERA), 2009.
- Excellence in Classroom Instruction, Belhaven University, 2006.
- EDUC 703 Philosophical & Social Foundations of Education
- EDUC 604 Foundations of Education
- EDUC 989 Dissertation Proposal & Research
- EDAS 699 Internship in School Administration
- EDAS 645 Foundations for Educational Leaders
- EDAS 640 School Administration
- EDUC 504 Historical & Philosophical Foundations of Education
- EDUC 360 Foundations of Education
|2017 - 2019||M.A., Liberty University ‐ History|
|1995 - 2000||Ed.D., Oklahoma State University ‐ Curriculum & Instruction|
|1991 - 1993||M.A., Grace College ‐ School Administration|
|1987 - 1988||Post-Baccalaureate, Houston Baptist University ‐ History|
|1981 - 1985||B.A., Mid-America Christian University ‐ English|
Samuel J. Smith
SCHOOL OF EDUCATION, DeMoss Hall 1314AM
1971 University Blvd
Lynchburg, VA 24515
Contributions to Books (7)
Contribution to Book
Horace Bushnell: Advocate of Progressive Orthodoxy and Christian Nurture
A Legacy of Religious Educators: Historical and Theological Introductions (2016)
Disparaged by his critics as a liberal, Calvinist, mystic, and heretic, Horace Bushnell’s theology—particularly his notion of Christian nurture—has prevailed ...
Contribution to Book
Case Studies: Developing Decision-making Skills in Diverse Simulated Environments
Handbook of Virtual Online Instruction and Programs in Education Leadership (2012)
Traditional print case studies have been a long-standing instructional strategy for educational leadership preparation programs. With the advent of interactive ...
Published Journal Articles (13)
Challenges for Novice School Leaders: Facing Today’s Issues in ...
Journal of Educational Leadership and Administration: Teaching and Program Development (2016)
Challenges for novice school leaders evolve as information is managed differently and as societal and regulatory expectations change. This study ...
Establishing Special Education Programs: Experiences of Christian School Principals
Journal of Research on Christian Education (2012)
This phenomenological study investigated the experiences of principals who initiated special education programs in Christian schools. Principals described efforts involved ...
The Role of Controversial Issues in Moral Education: Approaches and ...
Journal of the International Christian Community for Teacher Education (2011)
This study investigated the approaches and attitudes of Christian school teachers as they addressed controversial issues in moral education. Thirteen ...
Preservice Second-Career Teachers in a Blended Online-Residential Preparation Program: Profiling ...
The Teacher Educators’ Journal (2010)
This study examines preservice second-career teachers (SCTs), their motivations for switching careers, and their perceptions of the profession. Participants were ...
Conference Paper Presentations (12)
Experiences of Teaching Controversial and Emotive Issues in Terrorism Studies ...
Virginia Educational Research Association (2017)
The purpose of this transcendental phenomenological study is to understand the phenomenon experienced by faculty members in higher education who ...
Professional Ethics for Educators: Perspectives of Christian University Students on ...
Forum for Teacher Educators, Association of Christian Schools International (2017)
In recent decades, accreditation standards have required teacher education programs to establish and implement dispositions that define and assess the ...
Motivational Factors That Sustain Experienced Teachers in High-need, Low-performing Public ...
Virginia Educational Research Association (2016)
The purpose of this transcendental phenomenological study was to describe factors that sustained public school teachers in high-need areas in ...