Honors and Awards
- 2007 - Utah Department of Environmental Quality, Utah Water Quality Board Recognition
- 2005 - American Water Resources Association, Utah Chapter
- 2003 - Major advisor for National Winner (Kevin Hall) for Posters on the Hill (Washington, DC)
- 2002 - Phi Kappa Phi, Faculty Induction, Utah State University
- 1998 - Plenary Speaker, U.S. EPA Regions 7&8 Hazardous Substance Research Center 13th Annual Meeting
- 1995 - Karen Morehouse Best Research Paper Award, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Great Plains/Rocky Mountain Hazardous Substance Research Center
- 1993 - Utah Governor's Medal for Science and Technology, Salt Lake City, UT
- 1993 - Invited Speaker, Ritchey Science Lecture Series, Weber State University, Ogden, UT
- 1990 - Air & Waste Management Association (AWMA) Award from the A&WMA Critical Review Committee: Presentation of the 1990 Critical Review, "Soil Remediation Techniques at Uncontrolled Hazardous Waste Sites," published in the Society Journal and presented at the 1990 National Meeting of the AWMA
- 1989 - U.S. Environmental Protection Agency recognition for contributions as a visiting engineer (1989) Robert S. Kerr Environmental Research Laboratory, Ada, OK
- 1987 - Outstanding Researcher Award, College of Engineering, Utah State University
- 1990-1995 - Awards from Union Carbide Corporation, Research and Development Department, for recognition and continued support of excellence in research in the area of polyaromatic hydrocarbon degradation and transport in soil
- 1986 - American Water Works Association Certificate of Recognition for serving as Major Advisor to 1985 National Academic Achievement Award Recipient for Outstanding Research in the Water Treatment Field
- 1981 - Alpha Epsilon (Agricultural Engineering Honorary Society)
- 1981 - Gamma Sigma Delta (Agriculture Honorary Society)
- 1973 - Certificate of Recognition from UNC-Chapel Hill for Leadership (as Director) of International Programs in Environmental Aspects of Industrial Development
- 1972 - Sigma Xi (Research Honorary Society)
- 1972 - Delta Omega (Public Health Honorary Society)
- 1972 - Outstanding Graduate Student Award, Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- 1972 - Environmental Protection Agency Traineeship Award, 5T2-WP-173-03, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC1971-1972
Biological Engineering Department
Utah State University
4105 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322-4105
Lab Contact Info:
SER 113 and 117
Qualitative Analysis of Microbial Dynamics during Anaerobic Digestion of Microalgal ...
International Journal of Microbiology (2017)
Anaerobic digestion (AD) is a microbiologically coordinated process with dynamic relationships between bacterial players. Current understanding of dynamic changes in ...
Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon-degrading Mycobacterium Isolates: Their Association with Plant Roots
Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology (2007)
Five environmental mycobacterium isolates that degrade polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) were associated with barley root surfaces after growth of the ...
Temperature Effect on Tert-butyl Alcohol (TBA) Biodegradation Kinetics in Hyporheic ...
BioMedical Engineering OnLine (2007)
Background Remediation of tert-butyl alcohol (TBA) in subsurface waters should be taken into consideration at reformulated gasoline contaminated sites since ...
Uptake of Nonlyphenol and Nonylphenol Ethoxylates by Crested Wheatgrass
Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (2005)
Nonylphenol (NP) and other hydrophobic biodegradation intermediates of nonylphenol ethoxylate (NPE) surfactants have been identified in wastewater treatment biosolids. These ...
Isolation and Characterization of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon-degrading Mycobacterium Isolates from ...
Journal of Microbial Ecology (2004)
Bioremediation of soils contaminated with wood preservatives containing polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) is desired because of their toxic, mutagenic, and ...
Oxidation of Pentachlorophenol in Manganese Oxide Suspensions Under Controlled Eh ...
Environmental Science and Technology (2002)
Abiotic oxidation of pentachlorophenol (PCP) by manganese(IV) oxide (MnO2) was examined in order to understand the physiochemical environment(s) where PCP ...
Fate and Behavior of Lead in Soils Planted with Metal-resistant ...
Journal of Environmental Quality (2000)
Phytoremediation of metal-contaminated soils requires an understanding of the interactions between metal-tolerant plant species and soil chemical properties controlling the ...