|Present||Affiliated Faculty, Women & Gender Studies, State University of New York College at Buffalo - Buffalo State College|
|Present||Arts & Humanities Graduate Faculty, State University of New York College at Buffalo - Buffalo State College|
|Present||Professor, Communication Department (Journalism & Critical Media Studies), State University of New York College at Buffalo - Buffalo State College|
Other American Studies, Other Film and Media Studies, Indigenous Studies, Social and Cultural Anthropology, Critical and Cultural Studies, Gender, Race, Sexuality, and Ethnicity in Communication, International and Intercultural Communication, Journalism Studies, Mass Communication, Social Influence and Political Communication, Politics and Social Change, Race and Ethnicity, and Social Control, Law, Crime, and Deviance
Honors and Awards
- State University of New York Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching (Awarded in 2012)
- SUNY Buffalo State McNair Scholars Program Outstanding Faculty Mentor of the Year (2014)
- SUNY Buffalo State Campus Life Faculty Appreciation Award (2013)
- SUNY Buffalo State 2008 Students Award for the Promotion of Respect for Equity and Diversity.
- SUNY Buffalo State 2005 United Student Government Instructor of the Year Award
- SUNY Buffalo State 2004 United Student Government Instructor of the Year Award
- SUNY Buffalo State 2004 Students Award for the Promotion of Respect for Diversity and Individual Differences
- Magazine Story (What Bush Didn’t Want You To Know About Iraq. In The Humanist) selected by PROJECT CENSORED as #3 on its list of Top 25 overlooked or censored news stories of 2002-2003
- Mass Media and Society - COM 450
- Persuasion and Propaganda - SPC 309
- Race Class & Gender in Media - SPC 333
- Alternative Media - COM 389
- Investigative Reporting - COM 390
- Visual Communication - COM 215
- Foundations of Inquiry / Lies My Teacher Told Me - BSC 101
230 Bishop Hall
1300 Elmwood Ave.
Buffalo, NY 14222
Academic Conference Presentations (19)
Invited Public Lectures (11)
Cornell University Hope Not Hate Town Hall on US-Islamic Relations. Cornell University History Department, the Cornell University Department of Near Eastern Studies and the Cornell University chapter of Americans for Informed Democracy (2004)
Featured Panelist: Cornell University Hope Not Hate Town Hall on US-Islamic Relations. Sponsored by the Cornell University History Department, the Cornell University Department of Near Eastern Studies and the Cornell University chapter of Americans for ...
Academic Journal Articles (3)
The Shanti Sena “Peace Center” and the Non-Policing of an Anarchist Temporary Autonomous Zone: Rainbow Family Peacekeeping Strategies Contemporary Justice Review (2011)
This article utilizes ethnographic methods and government documents to examine the self-policing and peacekeeping strategies of the Rainbow Family, a nonviolent acephalous intentional community that holds massive weeklong gatherings around the globe. It is a ...
Popular Press (111)
I Will Not Speak Kindly of the Dead: George H. W. Bush Was Detestable Truthout (2019)
Today, as we prepare to bury the nation’s 41st president, George H.W. Bush, the American press corps is carrying on this tradition, eulogizing him primarily by celebrating his polite demeanor and his successful self-representation of ...
This is a Racist Symbol: Unwrapping the Blue Lives Matter US Flag Remix The Public (2018)
Blue Lives Matter rings hollow because police lives already matter. It’s codified into law. They generally matter more than the lives of civilians, with most states having special penalties for assaulting or killing a law ...