|Present||Affiliated Faculty, Women & Gender Studies, State University of New York College at Buffalo - Buffalo State College|
|Present||Arts & Humanities Graduate Faculty, State University of New York College at Buffalo - Buffalo State College|
|Present||Professor, Communication Department (Journalism & Critical Media Studies), State University of New York College at Buffalo - Buffalo State College|
Other American Studies, Other Film and Media Studies, Indigenous Studies, Social and Cultural Anthropology, Critical and Cultural Studies, Gender, Race, Sexuality, and Ethnicity in Communication, International and Intercultural Communication, Journalism Studies, Mass Communication, Social Influence and Political Communication, Politics and Social Change, Race and Ethnicity, and Social Control, Law, Crime, and Deviance
Honors and Awards
- State University of New York Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching (Awarded in 2012)
- SUNY Buffalo State McNair Scholars Program Outstanding Faculty Mentor of the Year (2014)
- SUNY Buffalo State Campus Life Faculty Appreciation Award (2013)
- SUNY Buffalo State 2008 Students Award for the Promotion of Respect for Equity and Diversity.
- SUNY Buffalo State 2005 United Student Government Instructor of the Year Award
- SUNY Buffalo State 2004 United Student Government Instructor of the Year Award
- SUNY Buffalo State 2004 Students Award for the Promotion of Respect for Diversity and Individual Differences
- Magazine Story (What Bush Didn’t Want You To Know About Iraq. In The Humanist) selected by PROJECT CENSORED as #3 on its list of Top 25 overlooked or censored news stories of 2002-2003
- Mass Media and Society - COM 450
- Persuasion and Propaganda - SPC 309
- Race Class & Gender in Media - SPC 333
- Alternative Media - COM 389
- Investigative Reporting - COM 390
- Visual Communication - COM 215
- Foundations of Inquiry / Lies My Teacher Told Me - BSC 101
230 Bishop Hall
1300 Elmwood Ave.
Buffalo, NY 14222
Chapters in Books (7)
Contribution to Book
The Political Tsunami: Not all Death and Destruction is Natural
Tsunami Communication: Interpersonal/Intercultural, Mass Media, and Philanthropic Responses; Historical, Technical, Ethical and Development Communication (2010)
Unlike many disasters that befall the Third and Fourth Worlds, the 2004 Tsunami was both large and unique enough to ...
Academic Conference Presentations (19)
Journalism in a PR World
Harvard Law School Project on Law and Mind Sciences. Deep Capture: Psychology, Public Relations, Democracy, & Law. (2013)
Mike Niman discusses the future of journalism in a PR-dominated communication environment. In particular, he examines the migration of talent ...