About Dennis P. Culhane
• Dr. Culhane’s primary area of research is homelessness and assisted housing policy. His most recent research has focused on homelessness among veterans at the National Center on Homelessness among Veterans, the emerging bimodal age structure of adult homelessness, and the impact of the premature aging of the adult homeless population on service systems use and costs.
• Dr. Culhane co-directs the Actionable Intelligence for Social Policy initiative, a MacArthur-funded network to promote the development of integrated database systems (IDS) by states and localities for policy analysis and systems reform. Recent funding from the Laura and John Arnold Foundation is supporting further work in this area examining standards and best practices for IDS, and from the Annie E. Casey foundation for the facilitation of expanded state and local network participation.
• Dr. Culhane's recent research has also examined the transition of youth and young adults from foster care, juvenile justice, residential treatment and military service.
Homelessness, Housing Policy, Policy Analysis Research Methods, Policy and Program Design, Spatial Analysis and Geographic Information Systems, and Integrated Administrative Data Systems for Policy Research
- Housing Policy and Social Inclusion
- Homelessness and Urban Inequality
- Contemporary Policy Analysis
- Policy Analysis Research Methods
3701 Locust Walk
SP2 Caster Building C19
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6214
2014-2016 Publications (32)
Characteristics and Likelihood of Ongoing Homelessness among Unsheltered Veterans
Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved (2016)
Introduction. Unsheltered homelessness is an important phenomenon yet difficultto study due to lack of data. The Veterans Health Administration administers ...
Supportive Housing for Chronically Homeless Medicaid Enrollees: State Strategies
Center for Health Care Strategies Policy Brief (2016)
Nearly all individuals experiencing chronic homelessness could be eligible for Medicaid in states pursuing Medicaid expansion under the Affordable Care ...
Screening for Homelessness in the Veterans Health Administration: Monitoring Housing ...
Public Health Reports (2015)
Objective. This study examined veterans’ responses to the Veterans Health Administration’s (VHA’s) universal screen for homelessness and risk ofhomelessness (hereinafter ...
Military Misconduct and Homelessness Among US Veterans Separated from Active ...
Journal of the American Medical Association (2015)
Misconduct-related separations from the military are associated with subsequent adverse civilian outcomes that are of substantial public health concern.1 We ...
Childhood Adversity, Adult Homelessness and the Intergenerational Transmission of Risk ...
Children and Family Social Work (2015)
This study tested for associations between childhood adversity, adult homelessness and contexts of developmental risk in households with children. Data ...