|Present||Associate Professor, Utah State University ‐ Instructional Technology and Learning Sciences|
Human computer/robot interaction with an emphasis on anthropomorphism (smart robots, pedagogical agents, digital artificial tutors and avatars), Design of social and affective technologies for learning, Learner Affect (Self-Efficacy, Attitudes, Interest, Identity, Emotions), Culturally and linguistically diverse learners, Equity Issues in STEM Education, and Social Cognitive Theories
Honors and Awards
- 2013 - Utah State University Proposal Development Institute Fellow, by the Vice President for Research at USU.
- 2011 - USU Exemplary Online Course Design Award, by the Regional Campuses and Distance Education at USU. For the graduate-level blended course, Projects in Instructional Technology
- 2006 - Utah System of Higher Education Retention Initiative Award, by Utah State University
- 2005 - ETR&D Young Scholar Award, by Association for Educational Communications and Technology
- 2004 - Gagne-Briggs Outstanding Doctoral Student Award, By Department of Educational Psychology and Learning Systems at Florida State University
- 2004 - Ruby Diamond Future Professor Award, By Department of Educational Psychology and Learning Systems at Florida State University
- 2004 - Liliana Mulhman Masoner Outstanding International Student Award, By Department of Educational Psychology and Learning Systems at Florida State University
- 2003 - ECT Foundation Mentorship Endowment Scholarship. By Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT)
- 2000-2003 - Tuition Scholarship, Florida State University
- 1999 - Teacher of the Year, by the National English Teachers’ Association, Korea
- 1998 - Bronze Medal for Multimedia Design & Development, by the Superintendent of Kwangju School District, Korea
- 1997 - Gold Medal for Multimedia Design & Development, by Ssangyong Information and Communication Corp, Korea
- 1997 - Gold Medal for Multimedia Design & Development, by the Superintendent of Kwangju School District, Korea
- 1996-1998 - Tuition Scholarship, Chonnam National University
- 1987 - Graduate Honors, Chonnam National University, Korea
- 1983-1986 - Honor Fellowship, Chonnam National University, Korea
2830 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322
Pedagogical and technological augmentation of mobile learning for young children ...
Interactive Learning Environments (2017)
The ubiquity and educational potential of mobile applications are well acknowledged. This paper proposes six theory-based, pedagogical strategies to guide ...
Research-based design of pedagogical agent roles: A review, progress, and ...
International Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education, 26(1). 160-169. (2016)
In this paper we review the contribution of our original work titled “Simulating Instructional Roles Through Pedagogical Agents” published in ...
Gendered socialization with an embodied agent: Creating a social and ...
Journal of Educational Psychology, Special Issue on Advanced Learning Technology (2013)
This study examined whether or not embodied-agent-based learning would help middle-grade females have more positive mathematics learning experiences. The study ...
Creating pedagogical agents as social models in an online learning ...
International Transactions on Systems Science and Applications (2008)
This paper introduces the learning environment MathGirls for high school girls learning fundamentals of algebra. Grounded in social cognitive theories ...
Desirable Characteristics of Learning Companions
International Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education (2007)
This study investigated the desirable characteristics of anthropomorphized learning-companion agents for college students. First, interviews with six undergraduates explored their ...
Pedagogical Agents as Learning Companions: The Impact of Agent Emotion ...
Journal of Computer-Assisted Learning (2007)
The potential of emotional interaction between human and computer has recently interested researchers in human–computer interaction. The instructional impact of ...
A Social-Cognitive Framework for Designing Pedagogical Agents as Learning Companions
Educational Technology Research and Development (2006)
Teaching and learning are highly social activities. Seminal psychologists such as Vygotsky, Piaget, and Bandura have theorized that social interaction ...
Contributions to Books (4)
Contribution to Book
MathGirls: Toward developing girls’ positive attitude and self-efficacy through pedagogical ...
Artificial intelligence in education: Building technology rich learning contexts that work (2007)
MathGirls is a pedagogical-agent-based environment designed for high-school girls learning introductory algebra. Since females are in general more interested in ...
Contribution to Book
Pedagogical Agents as Learning Companions: Building Social Relations with Learners
Artificial Intelligence in Education: Supporting Learning through Intelligent and Socially Informed Technology (2005)
This study examined the potential of pedagogical agents as learning companions (PALs) to build social relations with learners and, consequently, ...