Hilgard Hall (John Galen Howard) Historic Structures Report(2012)
AbstractHistoric structures report to evaluate the existing conditions and historic status of Hilgard Hall on the UC Berkeley campus according to the National Park Service’s cultural management guidelines. Designed by John Galen Howard, Hilgard Hall is part of the Agriculture Complex, a trio that is the most unified grouping of buildings on the campus. Wellman Hall, designed by John Galen Howard, was completed in 1912 as the first of the three buildings. Hilgard Hall, also designed by Howard, followed in 1917 and Giannini Hall, designed by William C. Hays to be compatible with the two existing buildings, completed the east leg of the grouping in 1930. Built for the University’s College of Agriculture and named in honor of Eugene. W. Hilgard (1833-1916), professor of agriculture and botany, Hilgard Hall remains historically tied to it and its successor, the College of Natural Resources. Hilgard Hall is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the 1977 multiple resource nomination which encompassed 17 of the most significant historical resources on the campus. It is significant at the state level for its association with important events and construction/design values. The building is a remarkable example of the classicist design principles which distinguish the work of John Galen Howard. Along with Wellman and Giannini Halls, it forms the Agriculture Complex which still conveys the design ideals of Howard and his forerunner, Emile Benard, which shaped the University of California campus.
- uc berkeley,
- historic structures reports
Publication DateMay 8, 2012
Citation InformationWilliam Riggs and Frederic Knapp. "Hilgard Hall (John Galen Howard) Historic Structures Report" (2012)
Available at: http://works.bepress.com/williamriggs/15/