|Present||Associate Professor, Cedarville University ‐ School of Engineering and Computer Science|
|2017 - 2020||Development of a Prototype Biomimetic Micro Air Vehicle (BMAV)|
|Malaysian Ministry of Science, Technology, and Innovation (MOSTI) - 04-01-03-SF1215|
|Role: Principle Investigator (transferred after departing UM)|
|2013 - 2016||Analysis and Modeling of Insect Flight Kinematics for Emulation in Biomimetic Micro Air Vehicles|
|University of Malaya (Malaysia) - RG155-12AET|
|University of Malaya Research Grant (UMRG)|
|Role: Principle Investigator|
|2013 - 2016||Component Analysis and Integrated Systems Development of a Biomimetic Micro Air Vehicle|
|Malaysian Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) - H-16001-D000053|
|High Impact Research Grant|
|Role: Principle Investigator|
|2010 - 2012||Numerical and Analytical Study of Compact Hydrogen PEM Fuel Cells|
|Malaysian Ministry of Higher Education - FRGS 156/2010|
|Fundamental Research Grant (FRGS)|
|Role: Principle Investigator|
|2008 - 2009||A New Fuel Cell Powered Aerospace Propulsion System|
|Malaysian Ministry of Science, Technology, and Innovation (MOSTI) - 04-01-01-SF0188|
|Role: Principle Investigator|
|2001 - 2003||Physical and Chemical Behavior of Endothermic Jet Fuels|
|Dayton Area Graduate Studies Institute (DAGSI) - F33615-03-2-2347|
|Role: Principle Investigator|
Professional Service and Affiliations
|2017 - Present||Registered Engineer, Board of Engineers, Malaysia||2014 - Present||Chartered Engineer, Engineering Council (United Kingdom)||2014 - Present||Fellow, Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE)||2010 - Present||Corporate Member, Institution of Engineers Malaysia||1986 - Present||Senior Member (Lifetime), American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)|
Honors and Awards
- • Gold Medal, 1st Innovation, Invention and Design Competition, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM), Malaysia, 2012. Project leader of team that developed the first fuel cell powered unmanned aircraft in Southeast Asia.
- • 2nd Place (Cash Award) for Best Innovation, International Conference on Advances in Mechanical Engineering (ICAME 2010), Shah Alam, Malaysia , 2010.
- • Bronze Medal, Malaysia Technology Expo 2010, Putra World Trade Centre, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2010.
- • Silver Medal, Invention, Innovation, and Design (IID) 2010 Conference, Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM), Malaysia, 2010.
- • Best Prototype (trophy and cash award), Malaysia National Invention Competition, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM), Malaysia, 2010.
- • Bronze Medal, National Research and Innovation Competition (NRIC), Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), Malaysia, 2009.
- • Gold Medal, Belgian & International Trade Fair for Technological Innovation 2009. Electrochemical extraction of hydrogen gas from water to improve the fuel efficiency of cars.
- • Shell Eco-marathon Asia competitions in 2016, 2015, and 2012, Silver Medal (2nd Place) Hydrogen Fuel Cell Powered Car - Prototype Category, Directed University of Malaya team. Won $1000 USD cash award at each event.
- • Shell Eco-marathon Asia, Best Malaysian Team 2011 – Trophy and RM 10,000 cash prize awarded by a panel of judges consisting of Malaysian university professors and Shell executives. Directed Universiti Teknologi MARA team
- • Gold Medal (1st Place) Best Fuel Cell Powered Car 2010 - Prototype Category, Malaysia. Presented in gratitude by the winning team from Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) for my critical technical support in providing their fuel cell system.
- • Command Civilian Award for Valor with Commendation for Courage, United States Air Force, Aug 2005.
- • Nominee for US Federal Employee of the Year, US Air Force, 2005. Nominated with only 7 others for the prestigious federal employee of the year in the category of science, engineering, medical, and legal professionals.
- • Civilian of the Quarter, US Air Force Material Command, Jan 2004. I won civilian of the quarter in my Center within AFMC for engineers.
- • STAR Team Award, US Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR), 2002.
- • Certificate of Merit, US Air Force Systems Command (AFSC), 1992. Awarded due to my work at modeling ballistic missiles in support of US arms reduction treaties.
- • Notable Achievement Award, US Air Force, 1990. Awarded for my innovative efforts in developing digital computer models.
- EGME3020 Mechanical Engineering Lab 2
- EGME3150 Heat Transfer
- EGME3170 Thermal Systems
- EGME3010 Mechanical Engineering Lab 1
- EGME3110 Thermodynamics
|Ph.D., University of Dayton ‐ Mechanical Engineering|
|M.Sc., Loughborough University ‐ Aerospace Systems Engineering|
|M.Sc., University of Dayton ‐ Aerospace Engineering|
|B.Sc., University of Cincinnati ‐ Aerospace Engineering|
Feasibility Study On: The Use of Aerodynamic Prediction Methods in Determining the Dynamic Stability of Missiles Engineering and Computer Science Faculty Publications (1994)
Knowledge of the natural dynamic response of a missile is necessary in designing its control system. Calculation of these modes requires accurate stability derivatives. In a conceptual or preliminary design, these must be obtained quickly ...
Journal Publications (24)
Experimental Analysis of Energy and Friction Factor for Titanium Dioxide Nanofluid in a Water Block Heat Sink International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer (2017)
Heat dissipation is a critical issue in modern electronic components, due to the technological advances that have reduced their size and caused their heat flux to rise. Different types of heat sinks are promising for ...
Development of an Inductor Incorporated onto a Carbon Fiber MAV Structural Component Microsystem Technologies (2017)
Insect-sized flapping wing micro air vehicles (MAVs) are beginning to take flight but have many technical hurdles to overcome. One of the greatest challenges of MAV design is attaining lightweight microelectronic components of optimal size ...
An Experimental Study of the Elastic Properties of Dragonfly-like Flapping Wings for Use in Biomimetic Micro Air Vehicles Chinese Journal of Aeronautics (2017)
This article studies the elastic properties of several biomimetic micro air vehicle (BMAV) wings that are based on a dragonfly wing. BMAVs are a new class of unmanned micro-sized air vehicles that mimic the flapping ...
A Bibliometric Review of Progress in Micro Air Vehicle Research International Journal of Micro Air Vehicles (2017)
Micro air vehicle research has exponentially expanded since the first articles began to be published in the late 1990s. This article presents a comprehensive bibliometric review of journal articles published on micro air vehicle research ...
Static Strength Analysis of Dragonfly Inspired Wings for Biomimetic Micro Air Vehicles Chinese Journal of Aeronautics (2016)
This article examines the suitability of fabricating artificial, dragonfly-like, wing frames from materials that are commonly used in unmanned aircraft (balsa wood, black graphite carbon fiber and red prepreg fiberglass). Wing frames made with Type ...
Topology Optimization: A Review for Structural Designs Under Vibration Problems Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization (2016)
This article provides a comprehensive review of structural optimization employing topology methods for structures under vibration problems. Topology optimization allows creative and radical design modifications, compared to shape and size optimization techniques. Various works of ...
Effects of Heat Treatment on Chitosan Nanocomposite Film Reinforced with Nanocrystalline Cellulose and Tannic Acid Carbohydrate Polymers (2016)
This article presents an analysis of the influence of heat treatment on chitosan nanocomposite film. A series of samples comprising: pure chitosan film, chitosan film embedded with nanocrystalline cellulose (NCC), chitosan film crosslinked with tannic ...
Spatial Network Analysis to Construct Simplified Wing Structural Models for Biomimetic Micro Air Vehicles Aerospace Science and Technology (2016)
A procedure for designing a simplified, dragonfly-like wing model that is suitable for use in a Biomimetic Micro Air Vehicle (BMAV) is presented. BMAV are a relatively new class of micro-scaled unmanned air systems that ...
A Review of Biomimetic Air Vehicle Research: 1984-2014 International Journal of Micro Air Vehicles (2015)
Biomimetic air vehicles (BAV) are a class of unmanned aircraft that mimic the flapping wing kinematics of flying organisms (e.g. birds, bats, and insects). Research into BAV has rapidly expanded over the last 30 years. ...
Physical and Chemical Reinforcement of Chitosan Film Using Nanocrystalline Cellulose and Tannic Acid Cellulose (2015)
Chitosan film with nanocrystalline cellulose (NCC) as a physical reinforcement and tannic acid as a chemical crosslinker was prepared by the casting evaporation method. The objective was to improve its mechanical properties, reduce its moisture ...
Improving Solar Energy Prediction in Complex Topography Using Artificial Neural Networks : Case study Peninsular Malaysia Environmental Progress and Sustainable Energy (2015)
This research assesses the feasibility of using artificial neural networks (ANN) to predict and improve the spatial distribution of solar radiation data, using Peninsular Malaysia as a case study. This peninsula has seas to the ...
Performance Enhancement of a Flat Plate Solar Collector Using Titanium Dioxide Nanofluid and Polyethylene Glycol Dispersant Journal of Cleaner Production (2015)
The use of TiO2–water nanofluid as a working fluid for enhancing the performance of a flat plate solar collector has been studied. The volume fraction of the nanoparticles was 0.1% and 0.3% respectively, while the ...
Procesessing and Analysis of Chitosan Nanocomposites Reinforced with Chitin Whiskers and Tannic Acid as a Crosslinker Carbohydrate Polymers (2015)
Chitosan film reinforced with nano-sized chitin whiskers and crosslinked using tannic acid was synthesized by the casting–vaporation method. The mechanical and physicochemical properties of several film samples (consisting of different ratio of chitin and tannic ...
Energy, Exergy and Friction Factor Analysis of Nanofluid as a Coolant for Electronics Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research (2014)
Power dissipation, chip power consumption, and heat flux in electronic devices have been steadily increasing over the past decade, creating a need for improved methods of cooling them. Nanofluids can be used as coolant for ...
Aircraft Performance of Kenyalang Fuel Cell UAV Applied Mechanics and Materials (2013)
Kenyalang is a fuel cell powered Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) developed by Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM). This paper discusses the aircraft performances analysis of Kenyalang. Computational Fluid Dynamic (CFD) using Numeca software had been performed ...
Performance Analysis of Ground-Based Static Test for Hydrogen Fuel Cell Propulsion System Applied Mechanics and Materials (2013)
Combustion engines are increasingly being regarded as unsustainable in the long-term, because of their negative impact on the environment (e.g. pollution, green-house gas production, and global warming). This has generated worldwide interest in propulsion systems ...
Technical and Economic Analysis of Renewable Energy Powered Stand-alone Pole Street Lights for Remote Area Journal of Environmental Progress and Sustainable Energy (2013)
Several different stand‐alone pole street lighting (SPSL) models, using a light emitting diode (LED) lamp, were tested over a 1‐year period on Penang Island in northern Malaysia. The models were powered by lead–lead dioxide batteries, ...
Common Elements of Capstone Projects in the World’s Top-ranked Engineering Universities European Journal of Engineering Education (2012)
‘Capstone’ is a metaphor used to describe a final achievement that builds upon previous works and encapsulates them. Capstone projects are included in engineering curricula to integrate multi-disciplinary subjects and teach professional skills that are ...
Energy and Emission Analysis in the Malaysian Food Industries Journal of Environmental Progress and Sustainable Energy (2012)
According to the source paper written in 2006, the Malaysian food industrial sector accounted for about 14% of the total manufacturing energy consumption. As energy costs rapidly increase, alternative energy sources and efficiency improvements become ...