|2017 - Present||Professor (tenured), Chung-Ang University|
|Present||Distinguished Scholar (2014-2016)/Cho Hee-Wook Endowed Professor at Chung-Ang University, Chung-Ang University|
second language (L2) learning/teaching (de)motivation, sociocultural theory (SCT), activity theory (AT), individual differences, study abroad (SA), and qualitative inquiry
Honors and Awards
- 2014-2016: Chung-Ang University Distinguished Scholar
- 2014: Cho Hee-Wook Research Grant
- 2013: Korea Council for University Education Grant (division: College Admission Officer Research Grant)
- 2012: The National Research Foundation of Korea Grant (division: Emerging Scholar)
- 2011: The National Research Foundation of Korea Grant (division: Emerging Scholar)
- 2010: The National Research Foundation of Korea Grant (division: Emerging Scholar)
- 2006: The Canadian Modern Language Review doctoral student travel grant
- 2006: The Korean Honor Scholarship by the Korean Embassy in the U.S.A.
- 2006: Albert Markwardt Graduate Student Travel Grant by TESOL
- 2005: AAAL Student Travel Grant/ETS Graduate Student Grant
- 2005: Language Learning Dissertation Grant
- 2002: R. K. Keating Memorial Scholarship by the Canadian Chamber of Commerce in South Korea
- 2016: The National Research Foundation of Korea Grant (division: Emerging Scholar)
- SCT and English education
- qualitative methods in TESOL
- Studies in L2 learning motivation
|2002 - 2007||Ph.D., Ontario Institute for Studies in Education of the University of Toronto ‐ Department of Curriculum, Teaching and Learning|
|1997 - 2002||M.A., Seoul National University ‐ Department of Foreign Language Education|
|1993 - 1997||B.A., Seoul National University ‐ Department of English Education|
Tae-Young Kim, Ph.D.
Head of English Education Institute at CAU
Director of Graduate School of Education (English Major)
Department of English Education
College of Education
221 Heukseok-dong, Dongjak-gu
L2 Learning Motivation (41)
The Effect of Motivational Languaging Activities on L2 Learning Motivation ...
American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL) (2015)
This study highlights the effect of languaging activities on students' EFL-learning motivation. By presenting two different studies, I argue that ...
Elementary school students' foreign language learning demotivation: A mixed methods ...
The Asia Pacific Education Researcher (2012)
This mixed methods study investigates Korean elementary school students’ foreign language learning demotivation and their teachers’ perception of student demotivation. ...
Korean Secondary School Students' L2 Learning Motivation: Comparing L2 Motivational ...
English Language and Literature Teaching (2012)
In order to confirm ecological validity of Dörnyei’s second language motivational self, the present study investigated 495 South Korean secondary ...
Korean EFL Students' Amotivation to Learn English: An Activity Theory ...
American Association for Applied Linguistics (2012)
By using Dörnyei’s (2009) L2 motivational self-system, this qualitative study investigates 39 Korean EFL students’ amotivation of English learning, or ...