|Present||Assistant Professor of Childhood Education, University of South Florida|
|2018 - 2019||Literacy for Individuals who are Incarcerated|
|Florida State Appropriation|
|Role: Assistant Lead|
|Colleague(s): A.G. Gunn|
|2008||Just Read, Florida!|
|Florida Department of Education|
|Colleague(s): Susan Homan|
Professional Service and Affiliations
|2012 - Present||Reviewer, Multiple professional journals in education||2017 - 2017||Region 3 Director, National Association of Multicultural Education (NAME)||2017 - 2017||Volunteer Coordinator, National Association of Multicultural Education Conference||2015 - 2017||President, International Chapter of National Association of Multicultural Education (NAME)||2013 - 2015||Field Representative for Mississippi, Literacy Research Association’s (LRA) Regional Field Council||2011 - 2015||Treasurer, International Chapter of National Association of Multicultural Education||2007 - 2010||Co-Managing Editor, Journal of Reading Education||2006 - 2007||Copyeditor, Journal of Reading Education|
Honors and Awards
- Teaching Award, College of Education, University of South Florida St. Petersburg (2018)
- Pathways Award, University of South Florida, USF Latin Community Advisory Committee (2017)
- Kappa Delta Pi, Membership Chapter Program Award, University of Mississippi (2013-2014)
- Nominated for Outstanding Scholar Award, School of Education, University of Mississippi (May, 2013)
- Provost’s Commendation for Outstanding Teaching by a Graduate Teaching Assistant, University of South Florida (April, 2008)
- Graduate Student Enhancement Award, $15,000, University of South Florida (2008-2009)
- EDG 6935: Seminar in Curriculum Research
- EDG 6947: MA Final Internship
- RED 6545: Vocabulary and Word Study (Online)
- RED 6544: Cognition, Comprehension, & Content Area Reading: Remediation of Reading Problems
- LAE 6616: Trends in Language Arts Instruction
- EDG 4376: Literature/ Literacy/Social Studies/ESE for All Children
- LAE 4464: Adolescent Literature for Middle and Secondary Students (Online)
|PhD, University of South Florida, Tampa ‐ Curriculum and Instruction/Literacy Education. Cognate: Multicultural Education|
|M.Ed-Master of Education, University of Cincinnati ‐ Curriculum and Instruction|
|B.A., Northern Kentucky University ‐ Women Studies|
|B.A., Ohio State University ‐ Women Studies|
Book Chapters (5)
Refereed Journals (17)
Comprehension strategy instruction with literature circles and response journals: Promoting ...
USF St. Petersburg campus Faculty Publications (2016)
In this inquiry, we investigated 62 preservice teachers’ understandings about comprehension strategies while applying them to a multicultural novel, Maniac ...
Preservice teachers’ “revelations and connections”: Fostering deep conversations while reading ...
USF St. Petersburg campus Faculty Publications (2014)
We investigated strategies that a literacy teacher educator used to develop preservice teachers’ culturally responsive pedagogy. This study focused on ...
Effective facets of a field experience that contributed to eight ...
USF St. Petersburg campus Faculty Publications (2012)
I investigated eight preservice teachers’ understandings about culturally responsive pedagogy as they tutored children in writing from different ethnic, socioeconomic, ...