About Sarah Wadsworth
Specialist in literature of the nineteenth-century U.S., book history, childhood studies, Henry James studies, women's literature.
Author of In the Company of Books: Literature and Its "Classes" in Nineteenth-Century America (University of Massachusetts, 2006).
Coauthor (with Wayne A. Wiegand) of Right Here I See My Own Books: The Woman's Building Library at the World's Columbian Exposition (University of Massachusetts, 2012).
Literature of the U.S. before 1918, Children's Literature, Book History, Henry James, and Women Writers of the Long Nineteenth Century
Professional Service and Affiliations
|2015 - Present||Co-Editor, Nineteenth Century Studies||2011 - 2017||Board Member, Nineteenth Century Studies Association||2005 - 2006||President, History of Reading Special Interest Group, International Reading Association||2004 - 2005||Second Vice President, History of Reading Special Interest Group, International Reading Association|
Honors and Awards
- Library Outreach Project Grant, NEH / American Library Association
- Reese Fellowship in American Bibliography and the History of the Book in the Americas, Bibliographical Society of America
- American Fellowship (Summer / Short-Term Research Publication Grant), American Association of University Women
- Carnegie-Whitney Award, American Library Association
- Leon Edel Prize, The Henry James Review
- Houghton Mifflin Fellowship in Publishing History, Houghton Library, Harvard University
- A. Garr Cranney Outstanding Dissertation Award, History of Reading Special Interest Group, International Reading Association
- P.E.O. Scholar Award, P.E.O. International
- American History and the Novel
- Children's Literature
- American Literature, 1865-1914
- American Literature to 1865
|Ph.D., University of Minnesota - Twin Cities|
|M.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill|
|B.A., Reed College|