|Present||Professor of Chemistry, Illinois Wesleyan University|
|Present||Wendell and Loretta Hess Professorship of Chemistry, Illinois Wesleyan University|
Honors and Awards
- On Fulbright Specialist Roster (Green Chemistry) (2014-2019)
- Fulbright-Nehru Visiting Lecturer to India (2012-2013)
- Named Chemist of The Year by Illinois Heartland Section of The American Chemical Society (2011)
- International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) Young Observer Award (2009)
- Pfizer Inc. (St. Louis Green Chemistry Team) Green Chemistry Award in recognition of contribution to green chemistry education and research (2008)
- "Top 50 Most Cited Articles as published in Tetrahedron 2005-2008:" Reactivity of ionic liquids, Chowdhury, S., Scott, J.L., Mohan, R.S., 2007, 63, 2363 - 2389.
- "Top 50 Most Cited Articles as published in Tetrahedron 2004-2007:" Bismuth compounds in organic synthesis. Bismuth nitrate catalyzed chemoselective synthesis of acylals from aromatic aldehydes. Aggen, D.A., Arnold, J.N., Hayes, P.D., Smoter, N.M., Mohan, R.S., 2004, 60, 3675.
- Nominated by the U.S. National Research Council and selected by the Chairmen of the European Research Council's Chemistry Committee to attend workshop on use of Lanthanides in organic synthesis, Belgium (February 2006)
- International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) Young Observer Award
- University of Maryland Baltimore County 2002 Distinguished Alumni Award
- Henry Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award, 2001
- Royal Society of Chemistry, admitted 2001
- Physical Organic Chemistry
- Synthetic Organic Chemistry
- Advanced Organic Synthesis
- General Chemistry
Environmentally Friendly Organic Chemistry Laboratory Experiments for the Undergraduate Curriculum ...
Journal of Chemical Education (2020)
Due to a growing awareness of environmental issues, green chemistry concepts are increasingly being incorporated into the undergraduate organic chemistry ...
Environmentally friendly organic synthesis using bismuth compounds. Bismuth(III) bromide ...
Catalysis Communications (2009)
The bismuth bromide catalyzed synthesis of a range of substituted tetrahydroquinoline derivatives via a three component coupling reaction between substituted ...
The Discovery-Oriented Approach to Organic Chemistry. 7. Rearrangement of trans ...
Journal of Chemical Education (2008)
A microscale discovery-oriented experiment illustrating the rearrangement of trans-stilbene oxide using non-corrosive metal triflates as catalysts has been developed. The ...
Environmentally Friendly Organic Synthesis Using Bismuth Compounds. Bismuth Trifluoromethanesulfonate-Catalyzed Allylation ...
Australian Journal of Chemistry (2008)
A bismuth trifluoromethanesulfonate (triflate)-catalyzed (2.0 mol-%) multicomponent reaction involving the allylation of dioxolanes followed by in situ derivatization with anhydrides ...
Iron(III) p-Toluenesulfonate Catalyzed Synthesis of Homoallyl Ethers from ...
Tetrahedron Letters (2007)
Iron(III) p-toluenesulfonate, Fe(OTs)3.6H20, is an inexpensive, versatile and commercially available catalyst for the allylation of acetals using allyltrimethylsilane to yield ...
Kinetic Deuterium Isotope Effects on the Reactions of 2-(4-Methoxyphenyl ...
The rates of reaction of 2-(4-methoxyphenyl)oxirane (4-methoxystyrene oxide), trans-3-deutereo-2-(4-methoxyphenyl)oxirane and 3,3-dideutereo-2-(4-methoxyphenyl)oxirane in water solutions were measured as functions of pH. ...
A Study of Epoxyolefin Cyclizations Catalyzed by Bismuth Trifluoromethanesulfonate and ...
Tetrahedron Letters (2005)
Epoxyolefin cyclizations have attracted considerable interest due to their importance in biosynthetic pathways. Bismuth trifluoromethanesulfonate as well as several other ...