|Present||Associate Dean of Research and Grants, East Tennessee State University ‐ Clemmer College|
|Present||Associate Professor, East Tennessee State University ‐ Educational Foundations and Special Education, Clemmer College|
|2017||Current Practices and Effectiveness of Professional Development in Special Education in Rural Environments|
|Colleague(s): Fox, J., Bartozuk, K.|
|2017||UPSTART inclusive Higher Education at ETSU|
|Colleague(s): Chambers, C., Marks, L.|
|2016||Vanderbilt postsecondary education for students with intellectual disabilities community conversation mini grant|
|Colleague(s): Chambers, C.|
|2014 - 2016||Phase II: Access: Language Arts|
|Institute of Educational Sciences, Department of Education|
|Role: Principal Investigator|
|2014 - 2015||Teacher Support Program: A Multicomponent Program to Improve and Retain Special Educators|
|ETSU Research Development Committee|
|Major Research Grant|
|Role: Principal Investigator|
|Colleague(s): Fox, J.|
Professional Service and Affiliations
Honors and Awards
- 2004-2005 - Teacher of the Year- Progressive Education Program
- 2005-2006 - Ruth Henderson Award- Buncombe County Schools
- 2007-2008 - North Carolina Association for Americans with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Rising Star Student Award
- 2008 - North Carolina Applied Behavior Analysis Best Student Poster Award
- 2008-2009 - North Carolina Applied Behavior Analysis Student Scholarship Award
- 2007-2008 - Snyder Distinguished Doctoral Fellow for University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- 2010 - Council for Exceptional Children-Division of Research-Student Research Award in Single Subject Research
- 2015 - ETSU Clemmer College of Education Outstanding Research Award
- 2017 - Recipient of the American Council on Rural Special Education Research Article of the Year Award
- 2017 - Visiting Academic with University of Sydney
- SPED 5250 - Special Topics: Teaching Reading and Math to Individuals with Disabilities (Graduate)
- SPED 3400 - Behavior Management for Individuals with Disabilities (Graduate)
- SPED 3445 - Assistive Technology (Undergraduate)
- SPED 5250 - Medical Aspects in Special Education (Graduate)
- SPED 5250 - Instructional Methodology in Special Education (Graduate)
- SPED 5500 - History, Issues, and Trends in Special Education (Graduate)
- SPED 5700 - Teaching Students with Special Needs in Inclusive Settings (Graduate)
- SPED 5587 - Access to the General Curriculum for Students with Significant Disabilities (Graduate)
- SPED 5960 - Thesis in Special Education (Graduate)
- SPED 4700 - Teaching Students with Special Needs in Inclusive Settings (Undergraduate)
- SPED 3350 - Medical Aspects in Special Education (Undergraduate)
- SPED 5365 - Integrating Functional Skills into Curriculum (Graduate)
- SPED 3365 - Integrating Functional Skills into Curriculum (Undergraduate)
- SPED 5445 - Applications of Assistive Technology and Medical Aspects in Special Education (Graduate)
- SPED 3445 - Applications of Assistive Technology and Medical Aspects in Special Education (Undergraduate)
- SPED 4587 - Access to the General Curriculum for Students with Significant Disabilities (Undergraduate)
|2009||PhD, Special Education, University of North Carolina at Charlotte|
|2004||MA Ed., Special Education, Western Carolina University|
|1999||BS, Special Education, East Carolina University|
PO Box 70548
Johnson City, TN 37614
Office: Warf-Pickel 319
Articles in Referred Journals (14)
Opinion Paragraph Writing Intervention for Students with Significant Disability
Assistive Technology Outcomes and Benefits Journal (2017)
Increasingly, technology has been used to provide access to academic curricula for students with moderate to severe intellectual disability. In ...
A Guide to Addressing Multiple Priorities in Core Content Instruction ...
Career Development and Transition for Exceptional Individuals (2016)
Instruction in academic core content provides students with moderate to severe disabilities a full educational opportunity that promotes current and ...
A Culturally and Linguistically Responsive Framework for Improving Academic and ...
Physical Disabilities: Education and Related Services (2016)
The needs of culturally and linguistically diverse (CLD) students with moderate or severe intellectual disability (ID) are quite unique and ...
Supporting Literacy Achievement for Students with Intellectual Disability and Autism ...
Assistive Technology Outcomes and Benefits (2016)
Education professionals are challenged with re-evaluating the learning capacity of students with developmental disabilities (e.g., intellectual disabilities, autism). Assistive technology ...
Data-Based Decisions Guidelines for Teachers of Students with Severe Intellectual ...
Education and Training in Autism and Developmental Disabilities (2012)
Effective practices in student data collection and implementation of data-based instructional decisions are needed for all educators, but are especially ...
Contribution to Book
Chapter Five: Reading for Students Who Are Nonverbal
More Language Arts, Math, and Science for Students with Severe Disabilities (2014)
How can today's educators teach academic content to students with moderate and severe developmental disabilities—while helping all students meet Common ...