Kefallinía is the largest of the seven Ionian Islands off the west coast of Greece. These Islands were for over five decades in the first half of the nineteenth century an independent state under British protection and known as the United States of the Ionian Islands. British imperial legacy in Kefallinía included an island road network that forms the basis of transport today, lighthouses, bridges, a quay, a customs house, courts of justice, a prison, a hospital, and public squares. Three men were responsible for the remarkable physical transformation of Kefallinía in the form of major civic projects and public buildings during the British period. Their individual contributions were concentrated in Argostóli, the capital of the island, and the next largest town, Lixoûri. Photographs and drawings illustrate the austere British neoclassical style of civic architecture that identified the British period of the island’s history. The legacy of their public works was lost in the devastating earthquake of August 1953 when virtually every in building and structure in Argostóli and Lixoûri were demolished.
- British Protectorate,
- civic architecture,
- British neoclassical architecture,
- de Bosset,
- Charles Napier,
- John Pitt Kennedy
Available at: http://works.bepress.com/nicholas_patricios/8/