|2017 - Present||Deputy Vice Chancellor (Students) and Dean of Education, Southern Cross University ‐ Office of Pro Vice Chancellor (Students)|
|2015 - Present||Faculty Member, Queensland University of Technology ‐ Facuty of Education|
|2015 - Present||Colonel (Projects), Australian Army|
|2015 - 2017||Professor of Education/Dean (Teaching and Learning), Griffith University ‐ Arts, Education and Law Group|
|2009 - 2015||Associate Professor/Asistant Dean (Teaching and Learning), Queensland University of Technology ‐ Faculty of Education|
|2004 - 2009||Senior Lecturer/ Director of Teacher Education, University of Queensland ‐ School of Education|
|2000 - 2004||Lecturer, University of Queensland ‐ School of Education|
|1998 - 2000||Associate Lecturer/Curriculum Developer, University of Queensland ‐ School of Education|
Professional Service and Affiliations
Honors and Awards
- 2016 Fellow, Queensland Academy of the Arts and Sciences
- 2016 Honorary Membership, Golden Key International Honour Society
- 2015 Vice Chancellor’s Award for Excellence Nominee, QUT
- 2013 Excellence in Teaching and School Leadership Australia, Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership
- 2009 Queensland Science, Maths and Technologies Academies, Educator of the Year Award, Queensland Minister of Education, Mr Rod Welford
- 2007 Australian Teacher Education Association/Scholastic Teaching Development Award 2007/2008
- 2007 Choice Outstanding Academic Title 2006/7: Education
- 2004 Edith Cowen Award for Authentic Learning, Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia
- 2003 Australian Awards for University Teaching, Individual Teaching Excellence, Social Sciences
- 2002 Australian Awards for University Teaching, Individual Teaching Excellence Finalist, Social Sciences
- 2002 Award for Program Innovation in Teaching, University of Queensland, Social and Behavioural Sciences
- 2001 Regional Education Innovation Award for a technology and design initiative (with Kawana Waters State High School teachers) , awarded by Sunshine Coast University, sponsored by Sunshine Cooloola Institute of TAFE
- 2001 University of Queensland Excellence in Teaching Award
Locked Mail Bag 4
Journal articles (30)
What matters in higher education: a meta-analysis of a decade of learning design Journal of Learning Design (2016)
The Journal of Learning Design (JLD) has had a relatively short history of open-access peer-reviewed publication in the broad field of multidisciplinary pedagogy and learning design in higher education with a focus on the innovative ...
Perspectives on schooling from early adolescent video diaries The International Journal of Technologies in Learning (2013)
The aim of this project was to gain the voice of the early adolescent (aged between 11 and 13 years) about the things that are genuinely important to them in their lives. Eight participants were ...
Self-regulated learning and executive function: exploring the relationships in a sample of adolescent males Educational Psychology (2013)
This study investigated relationships between SRL and EF in a sample of 254 school-aged adolescent males. Two hypotheses were tested: that self-reported measures of SRL and EF are closely related and that as different aspects ...
Self-regulated learning: key strategies and their sources in a sample of adolescent males Australian Journal of Educational and Developmental Psychology (2013)
This study identified the key self-regulated learning (SRL) strategies and their sources for nine school-aged adolescent males aged 15 to 17 years. The Self-Regulated Learning Interview Schedule (SRLIS) was used along with semi-structured interviews with ...
Contesting lost ground for the middle years in Australia: using the case study of Queensland Australian Journal of Middle Schooling (2011)
This article provides a commentary on middle years and middle years teacher education reforms in Australia. It discusses the rise of the middle years movement from its grassroots in the schooling system to a position ...
Course cohesion: an elusive goal for tertiary education Journal of Learning Design (2011)
A program’s development and implementation in a higher education institution is usually launched with great fanfare, goodwill and a huge effort on the part of the whole development team to ensure a worthwhile cohesive set ...
Thinking critically about critical thinking in higher education International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (2010)
The literature on critical thinking in higher education is constructed around the fundamental assumption that, while regarded as essential, is neither clearly nor commonly understood. There is elsewhere evidence that academics and students have differing ...
Middle years teacher education: new programs and research directions The Australian Educational Researcher (2007)
Teacher education programs focussing on the development of specialist teachers for ‘the middle years’ have proliferated in Australian universities in recent years. This paper provides some insights into middle years’ teacher education programs at the ...