|2014 ‐ Present||Affiliate, Institute for Interdisciplinary STEM Education, Georgia Southern University|
|2012 ‐ Present||Associate Professor, Department of Community Health, Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health, Georgia Southern University ‐ Department of Community Health|
|2011 ‐ Present||Prevention Fellow, Florida Prevention Research Center, Georgia Southern University|
Honors and Awards
- Arts & Sciences Honor Society Member, 1996
- The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi Member, 1996
- The Honor Society of PsiChi Member, 1996
- USF COPH Dean's List of Scholars, 1998
- National Dean's List, 1998-1999
- USF COPH Merit-Based Scholarship for Exemplary Academic Performance, 1999
- Induction, American Academy of Health Behavior, 2010
- Appointment, Prevention Fellow, Florida Prevention Research Center, University of South Florida College of Public Health, 2011
- Outstanding Teaching and Mentoring Award, Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health, Georgia Southern University, 2013
- Fellow, Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, Georgia Southern University, 2014
- Nominated, Faculty Teaching Award, Georgia Southern University, 2014
- Nominated, Eagle Leadership Development Program, Georgia Southern University, 2015
- Nominated, Faculty Service Award, Georgia Southern University, 2015
- Eagle Leadership Development Program, Georgia Southern University (2015-2016)
- Governor's Teaching Fellow, University System of Georgia Southern University (2015-2016)
- Community Health Analysis, Master’s Level Course (Online & In Class)
- Research Methods in Public Health, Master’s Level Course (Online & In Class)
- Social and Behavioral Sciences in Public Health, Master’s Level Course (Online & In Class)
- Concepts of Health Promotion, Undergraduate Level Course (Online)
- Public and Global Health, Undergraduate Level Course (Developed Online Course)
- Ecological Program Evaluation, Master’s Level Course (Online & In Class)
- Research Methods, Master’s Level Course (Online & In Class)
- Program Planning and Program Evaluation, DrPH Level Course (Developing Online Course, Online & In Class Instruction)
- Introduction to Social Marketing (Developed Online Course)
- Mixed Methods Research, PhD Level Course (Online)
- Research Methods & Designs, PhD Level Course (Online)
- Qualitative Research, PhD Level Course (Online)
- Market Research and Analysis (Online)
- Communication Advocacy, DrPH Level Course
- Doctoral Seminar, DrPH Level Course
|2007||Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction, University of Florida ‐ Department of Educational Measurement and Research|
|2000||M.S. in Public Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences, University of South Florida ‐ Department of Community and Family Health|
|1997||B.A. in Pschology, University of South Florida|
PO Box 8015
Statesboro, GA 30460
Phone: (912) 478-0966
Published Articles (44)
Development and Psychometric Testing of the Childhood Obesity Perceptions (COP ...
Evaluation and Program Planning (2016)
Currently, public health practitioners are analyzing the role that caregivers play in childhood obesity efforts. Assessing African American caregiver’s perceptions ...
Translating Research into Practice: Employing Community-Based Mixed Methods Approaches to ...
Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research (2016)
The co-occurrence of depression and chronic diseases is often under-recognized, under-treated, and under-studied. Among Latinos, complex structural and cultural barriers ...
Adapting a Physical Activity Intervention for Youth in a Rural ...
Journal of the Georgia Public Health Assocation (2016)
Background: Physical activity offers children and youth many well-documented positive effects on health. The present study adapted a community-based prevention ...
Addressing Obesity and Associated Medical Conditions in Latino Immigrant Communities ...
The Applied Anthropology of Obesity: Prevention, Intervention, and Identity (2015)
The increasing global prevalence of obesity and nutrition-based non-communicable disease has many causes, including food availability; social norms as evidenced ...
Cultural Beliefs and Understandings of Cervical Cancer among Mexican Immigrant ...
Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health (2015)
Rural Mexican immigrant women in the U.S. are infrequently screened and experience health disparities from cervical cancer. We explored cancer-related ...
Adapting a Community-based Physical Activity Promotion Program for Rural, Diverse ...
The Physical Educator (2014)
With school-aged youth spending less time in physical education, school–community–university partnerships offer potential to promote physical activity among school-aged youth. ...
Becoming the Physical Activity Champion: Empowerment through Social Marketing
Strategies: A Journal for Physical and Sport Educators (2014)
Physical education teachers can champion their profession through marketing the importance of physical activity to children and families in the ...