About Mouhamed Abdulla, Ph.D., MIEEE
Mouhamed Abdulla (email@example.com) is currently a Professor of Electrical Engineering with the School of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering of the Faculty of Applied Science and Technology at Sheridan Institute of Technology in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Since the fall-2015 he was an EU Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellow (MSCA-IF) affiliated with the Electrical Engineering Dept. of Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg, Sweden. While in Europe, he was the principal investigator (PI) of the EU-H2020-MARSS-5G project focusing on ultra-reliable low-latency communication (URLLC) for V2X use cases. In addition, he was involved with other European Commission funded projects, including the EU-H2020-HIGHTS project. His 5G research on C-V2X was also supported by Ericsson Research Foundation in Stockholm, Sweden. In 2017, he was a Visiting Research Fellow at the Dept. of Electronic Engineering of Tsinghua University in Beijing, P. R. China. With support from the EU-H2020-is3DMIMO project, under the EU-H2020-MSCA-RISE program, he conducted short visits to Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications (BUPT), Harbin Institute of Technology in Shenzhen, Huawei Hong Kong, and Nanyang Technological University in Singapore. Meanwhile, until 2015, he was an NSERC Postdoctoral Research Fellow with the Dept. of Electrical Engineering of the University of Québec in Montréal working on interference mitigation techniques for satellite communications. Prior to that, he worked as a Systems Engineering Researcher in the Wireless Design Laboratory of the Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering of Concordia University. Moreover, for nearly 7 years since 2003, he was employed at IBM Canada Ltd. as a Senior Technical Specialist working on IBM's ThinkPad units.
Dr. Abdulla received, respectively in 2003, 2006, and 2012, a B.Eng. degree (with Distinction) in Electrical Engineering, an M.Eng. degree in Aerospace Engineering, and a Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering all at Concordia University in Montréal, Québec, Canada. He holds several awards from international organizations, government, academia, and industry. He is professionally affiliated with IEEE, IEEE ComSoc, IEEE YP (S'02-GSM'09-M'12), ACM, AIAA, OIQ, GK, and MCAA. He was an IEEE Executive Committee member of the Montréal Section, where he held the Secretary position in 2013 and the Treasurer in 2014-2015. In addition, he was the Secretary and Treasurer of IEEE ComSoc and ITSoc societies. He is on the Editorial Board of various journal publications. He constantly serves as a Technical Program Committee (TPC) member of flagship international conferences. And he is a regular reviewer of journal publications such as: IEEE, IET, Wiley, Springer, EURASIP, Elsevier, ACM and Hindawi. Furthermore, he regularly serves as a referee for several Canadian and European Granting Agencies, including as EU Expert Evaluator for the H2020-MSCA-IF program. He also contributes as an examination writer for the IEEE/IEEE ComSoc WCET® Certification Program, and he is a member of the committee overseeing the update of this certification. Moreover, he is a member of the IEEE Connected, Automated and Intelligent Vehicles Working Group with the mandate to draft the "IEEE P2040 Standard", which is the first ever standard of its kind for autonomous vehicles. His research interest includes: vehicular communications, mobile communications, space/satellite communications, performance analysis, channel characterization, and machine learning algorithms for wireless systems. Moreover, he has an interest in pedagogical research focusing on engineering education, engineering design, course development, and the implementation of CDIO within the engineering curriculum. Since 2011, his biography is listed in Marquis Who's Who in the World publication.
He has an Erdős number of 4.
|2019 - Present||EU Expert Evaluator (for H2020-MSCA-IF Grant Applications), European Commission ‐ Research Executive Agency (Brussels, Belgium)|
|2019 - Present||Subject Matter Expert, Committee Member (updating certification content/exam), IEEE Communications Society (ComSoc) ‐ IEEE Wireless Communications Engineering Technologies Certification Program - IEEE WCET™ (Piscataway, New Jersey, USA)|
|2018 - Present||Professor, Electrical Engineering, Sheridan Institute of Technology ‐ School of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Applied Science and Technology (Toronto, Canada)|
|2018 - Present||Voting Committee Member (mandate: write the first ever standard on Connected and Autonomous Vehicles), Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) ‐ IEEE P2040 Connected, Automated and Intelligent Vehicles Working Group (Piscataway, New Jersey, USA)|
|2015 - 2018||EU Marie Skłodowska‐Curie Individual Fellow, Chalmers University of Technology ‐ Dept. of Electrical Engineering (Gothenburg, Sweden)|
|2017 - 2017||EU Visiting Research Fellow, Tsinghua University ‐ Dept. of Electronic Engineering (Beijing, P.R. China)|
|2014 - 2015||NSERC Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Québec/ÉTS ‐ Dept. Electrical Eng. (Montréal, Canada)|
|2013 - 2015||Treasurer and Secretary, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) ‐ IEEE Montréal Section and IEEE ComSoc, R7-Canada (Montréal, Canada)|
|2006 - 2014||Research Associate, Concordia University ‐ Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering (Montréal, Canada)|
|2006 - 2013||Instructor, Concordia University ‐ Dean of Students Office (Montréal, Canada)|
|2006 - 2012||Teaching Assistant, Concordia University ‐ Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering (Montréal, Canada)|
|2003 - 2009||Senior Technical and Product Specialist, IBM Canada Ltd. ‐ IBM ThinkPad Group (Montréal, Canada)|
|2005 - 2005||Research Assistant, Concordia University ‐ Dept. of Mechanical, Industrial and Aerospace Engineering (Montréal, Canada)|
|1998 - 1999||Science Instructor, Dawson College ‐ Learning Centre and Student Services (Montréal, Canada)|
Smart Cities, Autonomous Vehicles, Machine Learning, 5G, V2X, URLLC, NB-IoT, Engineering Education, Engineering Design, Course Development, CDIO, Connected Vehicles, ITS, CAV, C-V2X, DSRC, 802.11P, VANET, AI, and ML
|2019 - 2020||Smart Parking using Low Power Wide Area Network (LPWAN) Technology|
|Sheridan Institute of Technology (Toronto, Canada)|
|Sheridan Research and Creative Activities Growth Grant (SRCA'19)|
|Role: Co-Principal Investigator (Co-PI)|
|Colleague(s): Keysight Technologies, Canada|
|2017 - 2017||Indoor Small-Cell Networks with 3D MIMO Array Antennas (EU-H2020-is3DMIMO)|
|European Commission (Brussels, Belgium) - Grant No. 734798|
|Marie Skłodowska-Curie Research and Innovation Staff Exchange (MSCA-RISE-2016)|
|Role: Participated in this Major EU Project, including as a Visiting Researcher to P.R. China to foster joint collaboration.|
|Colleague(s): Univ. of Sheffiled, Univ. of Twente, Harbin Institute of Tech., Ranplan Wireless Network and Gapwaves|
|2016 - 2017||5G-V2X Communications for Intelligent Transportation Systems|
|Chalmers University of Technology (Göteborg, Sweden)|
|Chalmers Research Grant, Dept. of Electrical Engineering|
|Role: Principal Investigator (PI)|
|2016 - 2017||High Precision Positioning for Cooperative ITS Applications (EU-H2020-HIGHTS)|
|European Commission (Brussels, Belgium) - Grant No. 636537|
|Research and Innovation Action: Cooperative ITS for Safe, Congestion-Free and Sustainable Mobility (MG-3.5a-2014)|
|Role: Participated in the Deliverable of this Major EU Project|
|Colleague(s): Industrial Collaboration: BMW, BOSCH and DLR|
|2016 - 2017||Ultra-Reliability for 5G Vehicle-to-Vehicle Communications|
|Ericsson (Stockholm, Sweden) - FOSTIFT: 16-043 & 17-054|
|Ericsson Research Foundation|
|Role: Principal Investigator (PI)|
|2015 - 2017||Modeling and Analysis of Random Spatial Systems for 5G Networks (EU-H2020-MARSS-5G)|
|European Commission (Brussels, Belgium) - Grant No. 659933|
|EU Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowship (MSCA-IF)|
|Role: Principal Investigator (PI)|
|2014 - 2015||Interference Mitigation for Satellite Communication|
|Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (Ottawa, Canada) - Grant No. CRDPJ-461178-13|
|Collaborative Research and Development Grant (Project Acronym: AVIO-601)|
|Role: NSERC Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (10 months only)|
|Colleague(s): Consortium for Research and Innovation in Aerospace in Québec (CRAIQ)|
|2012||4G/LTE Mobile Communications|
|Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (Ottawa, Canada)|
|NSERC Discovery Grant (awarded to my doctoral advisor at Concordia)|
|Role: Contributed to the writing of this grant (founded entirely on my PhD work)|
Professional Service and Affiliations
|2018 - Present||Member, EU‐Marie Curie Alumni Association (MCAA)||2013 - Present||Member, Canadian Engineering Education Association (CEEA)||2010 - Present||Member, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)||2008 - Present||Member, IEEE Communications Society (IEEE ComSoc)||2003 - Present||Member, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)||2003 - Present||Lifetime Member, Concordia Univ. Alumni Association (CUAA)||2003 - Present||Lifetime Member, Golden Key International Honour Society (GK)||2002 - Present||Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)||2002 - 2015||Member, Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ)||2010 - 2014||Member, IEEE Young Professionals|
Honors and Awards
- - Invited to give a talk to the “European Commission, European Research Day 2018", Nov. 5, 2018, Ottawa, Canada.
- - Invited to “Nobel Prize Foundation” & “Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences”, Nobel Week Dialogue: “The Future of Intelligence,” Göteborg, Sweden, Dec. 2015.
- - Invited “Library of Congress,” U.S. Congress, Washington D.C., USA, Dec. 2016.
- - Awarded “Marie‐Curie Fellowship,” European Commission, European Union (EU), Brussels, Belgium, Feb. 2015.
- - Invited to the “International Civil Aviation Agency (ICAO),” which is a “United Nations (UN) Specialized Agency,” Mar. 2010.
- - Invited to present a technical talk to “NATO Research and Technology Organisation (RTO),” Oct. 2008.
- - Selected to meet with “Expedition 9 Crew Members” of the “NASA International Space Station (ISS),” Mar. 2005.
- - “NSERC Discovery Grant” ($250,000.00 CAD) was awarded to my doctoral advisor for future research in Canada, founded entirely on the fundamentals conceptualized in my Ph.D. Dissertation, Nov. 2011.
- - “Doctoral Thesis Completion Award” ($4,000.00 CAD), School of Graduate Studies, Concordia Univ., Jun. 2011.
- - “Outstanding Scholastic Achievement and Excellence Award” (top 15% of Ph.D.s), Golden Key International Honour Society, Nov. 2009.
- - “Research Conference Award” ($500.00 CAD), School of Graduate Studies, Concordia Univ., Apr. 2009.
- - Nominated for the “International Scholar Laureate Program,” Golden Key International Honour Society, Dec. 2008.
- - My “Avionics Made Simple” textbook has been adapted as undergraduate/graduate coursepack for: ELEC 416, MECH 482 and ENGR 6461 (in use for the past 12+ yrs at Concordia), Sep. 2006 – Present.
- - Graduated in Aerospace Engineering with grades among the “top 5% of M.Eng.s,” ENCS Spring Convocation, Concordia Univ., Jun. 2006.
- - “NTIC Bursary Award” ($3,000.00 CAD), Ministère de l’Education du gouvernement du Québec (Québec’s Ministry of Education), Sep. 2005.
- - Awarded B.Eng. in Electrical Engineering “with Distinction,” ENCS Spring Convocation, Concordia Univ., Jun. 2003.
- - “Dean's List for Academic Years: 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2002,” Dean of Engineering, Concordia Univ. (while completing a 4/5yrs program in only 3yrs), 1999 – 2002.
- - “Outstanding Scholastic Achievement and Excellence Award” (top 15% of Bachelors), Golden Key International Honour Society, Mar. 2001.
- - “Millennium Scholarship Award” ($3,500.00 CAD), Canada Millennium Scholarship Foundation (on behalf of the Canadian Parliament), Nov. 2000.
- - Obtained the “Highest Grades in Pure Mathematics & Physics” from all graduating Health/Pure and Applied Science Students, Dawson College, Jun. 1999.
- - IBM Thanks Award for Excellent Support, Dec. 2009.
- - IBM Distinction as a Senior Specialist, Feb. 2008.
- - IBM Thanks Award for Extraordinary Assistance, Jul. 2007.
- - IBM Year‐End Innovation Award, Dec. 2006.
- - IBM A&P Recognition as a Product Specialist, Jan. 2005.
- - Listed in “Marquis Who’s Who in the World,” biographical publication, 2011 - Present.
- - General Chair of the 57th IEEE 5G Summit (Toronto, Canada) - Oct. 22, 2019
- Wireless Communications (ELEC 6141, Graduate Course, Lecturer, Concordia - Montréal, Canada)
- Digital Transmission Systems (ELEC 6831, Graduate Course, Lecturer, Concordia - Montréal, Canada)
- Wireless Communications (ELEC 464, Undergraduate Course, Lecturer, Concordia - Montréal, Canada)
- Digital Communications (ELEC 462, Undergraduate Course, Lecturer, Concordia - Montréal, Canada)
- Capstone Research Project (INFO-39599, Research Supervision, Sheridan - Toronto, Canada)
- Capstone Research Plan (INFO-37545, Research Supervision, Sheridan - Toronto, Canada)
- Green and Renewable Energy (ENGI-20082, Course Lead in 2020, Sheridan - Toronto, Canada)
- Wireless Communication Systems (TELE-28649, Course Lead in 2020, Sheridan - Toronto, Canada)
- Wireless Communications (SSY‐135, Graduate Course, Lecturer, Chalmers - Gothenburg, Sweden)
- Communication Systems (ENGI-28779, Lecturer, Sheridan - Toronto, Canada)
- Electrical Fundamentals (ENGI-12578, Lecturer, Sheridan - Toronto, Canada)
- Technical Reports and Presentations (COMM-16165, Lecturer, Sheridan - Toronto, Canada)
|2012||Ph.D., Wireless Communications, Concordia University ‐ Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering (Montréal, Canada)|
|2005||M.Eng., Avionic Systems, Concordia University ‐ Dept. of Mechanical, Industrial and Aerospace Engineering (Montréal, Canada)|
|2002||B.Eng. (with Distinction), VLSI/Electronic Systems, Concordia University ‐ Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering (Montréal, Canada)|
|1999||D.E.C. (Diplôme d'études collégiales), Applied Sciences, Dawson College ‐ Dept. of Science, Medical Studies and Engineering (Montréal, Canada)|
|1997||D.E.S. (Diplôme d’études secondaires), Pure and Applied Science, École secondaire Saint‐Luc ‐ Dept. of Sciences (Montréal, Canada)|
Vehicular Communications (9)
Autonomous vehicles (AVs) generally operate with technologies such as LiDARs, sensors, cameras, and infrared vision. Such capabilities are important for making a self-driving vehicle dependable and safe. However, in certain situations, these systems are simply insufficient to cope with the reality and complexity of road transportation. One such instance is the challenge of autonomously driving around a "blind-intersection" in a metropolitan environment. In fact, vehicular collision at intersections are the leading cause for nearly 47% of all road accidents combined. Also, Intersections cause traffic congestion in cities, and as a result, drivers are generally spending 40% in the car idling during gridlock. AVs mounted with V2X capability have the potential to greatly enhance road safety and traffic efficiency. The peer-reviewed papers below offer an extensive study on ultra-reliable low-latency communication (URLLC) for critical V2X use cases in urban and suburban environments.
Science Festival: Defining the Future of our Wireless World with 5G The International Science Festival in Gothenburg (2016)
Outreach Efforts: In addition to scientific publication, we disseminated our research and its social implications with the general public. In fact, we were invited by the organizing committee of Europe's leading popular science event (with ...
European Commission (4)
A subset of our activities with the European Commission is shown below.
Invited EU Seminar: The Marie Skłodowska Curie Actions (MSCA) Journey - Reflections and Interactions European Research Day 2018 (ERD'18), EURAXESS North America, European Commission (2018)
European Research Day (ERD) is a one-day event that celebrates and promotes Europe as a hub for research and innovation. The event is designed so that European researchers outside of Europe meet, discuss and exchange ...
Outreach Video: Research Visit to P.R. China funded by EU-H2020-is3DMIMO Project (2017)
As part of the major EU-H2020-is3DMIMO project, we traveled to P.R. China and Hong Kong for a one month duration. The objective was to foster research collaboration with wireless engineering scholars and experts in the ...
EU Grant: MARSS-5G Project - Modeling and Analysis of Random Spatial Systems for 5G Networks (2015)
The United Nations International Telecommunications Union (ITU) has recently reported that the number of mobile users is expected to surpass the world population. In fact, it is expected that by 2020 mobile users will exceed ...