|Present||Centenary Professor, University of Canberra, Australia|
Comparative Educational Administration, Elite Schooling & International Baccalaureate (IB) Schools, Professional Learning Community, Ethnic Minority Students, School Contexts and Neighborhood Effects, Social Capital and Social Networks, Multicultural Education, and Lifelong Learning Policy Discourses
Honors and Awards
- 2016 Erasmus Mundus Visiting Scholarship, University College London Institute of Education, U.K. & Aarhus University, Denmark, funded by Erasmus Mundus MA-LLL program, The European Commission.
- 2015 AERA Emerging Scholar Award (Division A), American Educational Research Association, U.S.
- 2014 Visiting Scholarship, Jeju National University, South Korea, funded by Global Teacher University Program, Ministry of Education, Korea.
- 2013 Rising Alumni, The Alumni Society of the College of Education & Human Development, University of Minnesota, U.S.
- 2013 Richard Wolf Memorial Award (best paper award), The International Association for the Evaluation of Educational Achievement (IEA), The Netherlands.
- 2013 Korea Foundation Fellowship, Korea Foundation, South Korea
- 2009 NCES Training Grant for International Dataset Analysis Training, National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), Washington, D.C., U.S.
- 2009 Larry Wilson Scholarship, College of Education and Human Development, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, U.S.
- 2009 AERA Leadership for Social Justice SIG Best Paper (from an Emerging Scholar), American Education Research Association (AERA) Leadership for Social Justice (LSJ)—SIG, U.S.
- 2009 Father Walter Krolikowski Graduate Student Paper Award (best paper award), Society for the Philosophical Study of Education (SPSE), U.S.
- 2009 Graduate Student Paper Award (3rd place), The 4th Conference of Korean Education and Employment Panel, Korea Research Institute for Vocational Educational and Training (KRIVET), Korea
- 2009 Semi-Finalist, Spencer Foundation Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship, Spencer Foundation, U.S. (Advanced to the final round)
- 2009 NCID Exemplary Diversity Scholar, National Center for Institutional Diversity (NCID), University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, U.S.
- 2008 AERC Best Graduate Student Paper Award, the 49th Adult Education Research Conference (AERC), University of Missouri, St. Louis, U.S.
- 2008 AERA Training Grant, Institute on Statistical Analysis for Education Policy, American Educational Research Association (AERA), National Science Foundation (NSF), and National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), U.S.
- 2008 Cohort Development Research Grant, College of Education and Human Development, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, U.S.
- 2008 Lee Student Fund, Society for the Study of Social Problems (SSSP), U.S.
- 2008 CIES New Scholar, Comparative & International Education Society (CIES), U.S.
- 2007 Semi-Finalist, Spencer Foundation Dissertation Fellowship, Spencer Foundation, U.S. (Advanced to the final round), U.S.
- 2007-2008 Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, nominated by the Department of Educational Policy and Administration, and selected by the Graduate School, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, U.S.
- 2007 Pre-Dissertation Competition Award, Office of International Program, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, U.S.
- 2006 Advanced Study Student Scholarship, College of Education and Human Development, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, U.S.
- 2006 Corcoran Research Travel Award, College of Education and Human Development, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, U.S.
- 2006 KASF Scholarship, Korean American Scholarship Foundation (KASF), U.S.
- 2006 Seashore Graduate Fellowship, College of Education and Human Development, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, U.S.
- 2005-2009 Full Research Assistantship, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, U.S
- 2005-2006 Oak Han Heum Scholarship, SaRang Community Church, South Korea
- 2005 UNESCO Fellowship in Support of Priority Program Areas, UNESCO Headquarters, Paris, France
- 2005 Fulbright Scholar Enrichment Grant, Institute of International Education (IIE), U.S.
- 2004-2006 Fulbright Scholarship, U.S. Department of State/Institute of International Education (IIE), U.S. (one of 15 scholars selected nationwide in South Korea)
- 2004 College Bursary, Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford University, U.K.
- 2004 Distinction on Thesis, Department of Education, Oxford University, U.K.
- 2001 Academic Excellence Scholarship, Seoul National University, Korea
- 1999 In-service Teacher Training Award (2nd place), Seoul Education Training Institute, Seoul, Korea
- 1998 In-service Teacher Training Award (1st place), Seoul Education Training Institute, Seoul, Korea
- 1992-1994 SADO Scholarships, Seoul National University of Education, Korea
- RESEARCH GRANTS (15 GRANTS AS PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR & 10 GRANTS AS CO-INVESTIGATOR, see my CV attached above for details)
- 10. EDD 8018 (doctoral course): Qualitative Research (Co-Teaching). Hong Kong Institute of Education
- 9. EDA 7002 (doctoral course): School Leadership in Asia Pacific. Hong Kong Institute of Education
- 8. EDA 7001 (doctoral course): Critical Literature Review of School Leadership. Hong Kong Institute of Education
- 7. EDS 6004 (master’s course): Educational Reform and Development in the Global Context. Hong Kong Institute of Education
- 6. EPA-IEMA (online master’s modules): International Perspectives on Educational Reform, Leadership Development and Coaching for Success, & Leading Learning Organization. Hong Kong Institute of Education
- 5. MEDD 7013 (master’s course): Themes and Approaches in the Field of Comparative Education. University of Hong Kong (co-taught with Prof. Mark Bray)
- 4. EDUC 6653: School and Society. University of Hong Kong
- 3. Educational Administration (intensive winter course), Jeju National University, Korea
- 2. BBED 1102: Becoming a Teacher. University of Hong Kong
- 1. EDUC 1002: Hong Kong Education. University of Hong Kong
|2004 - 2009||PhD, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities|
|2003 - 2004||MSc, Oxford University|
|2000 - 2003||MA, Seoul National University|
|1991 - 1995||BEd, Seoul National University of Education|
Journal Articles (52)
Exploring the relationship between school-Level teacher qualifications and teachers' perceptions ...
Teaching and Teacher Education (2016)
This study explores the relationship between school-level teacher qualifications and school-based professional learning community (PLC) practices in Early Childhood Education ...
Why offer the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme? A comparison ...
Journal of Research in International Education (2016)
The International Baccalaureate (IB) has become a powerful educational brand by developing a reputation for combining progressive approaches with academic ...
Elite International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme schools and inter-cultural understanding in ...
British Journal of Educational Studies (2014)
The number of International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) schools has increased rapidly in China in recent years. However, access to ...