About Mona Anita K. Olsen
Mona Anita K. Olsen is an assistant professor at the School of Hotel Administration in the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business.
As an assistant professor, she developed and currently teaches courses focused on entrepreneurship theory and practice. Olsen led Cornell to win a grant with NHH (Norwegian School of Economics) from Norway's Centre for International Cooperation in Education (SIU). Olsen also wrote the grant to lead Cornell's participation in the International Academic Partnership Program (IAPP) Cuba, a core initiative of the Institute of International Education's Center for International Partnerships in Higher Education, which seeks to increase the number of international partnerships between higher education institutions in the U.S. and Cuba.
She is the recipient of a Small Private Online Class (SPOC) grant from the Office of the Vice Provost to create HADM 4180x MAD Clouds: Making a Difference with Cloud-Based Technology in Entrepreneurial Business Planning, the Mario Einaudi Center for International Studies Small Grant for the course development of HADM 4133/HADM 6133: Global Conversations with Entrepreneurs, and the Luigi Einaudi Chair Innovation Grant for the International Academic Partnership Program (IAPP) Norway, where she serves as Cornell's representative.
From 2013 to 2016, Olsen served in the academic directorship of the Leland C. and Mary M. Pillsbury Institute for Hospitality Entrepreneurship at Cornell. Olsen led initiatives to expand and enrich the Pillsbury Institute's multifaceted work on entrepreneurship education. She engaged partners at all levels to integrate the work of the Pillsbury Institute into ongoing efforts within the Hotel School, Cornell University more broadly, and internationally, including engagement with entrepreneurs at all stages, Cornell alumni, entrepreneurs in residence, academics, and corporate affiliates.
Prior to joining the Cornell faculty, Olsen was a U.S. Fulbright Grantee to Norway, awarded by the United States Department of State and the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board. Olsen embraced her experience in Norway, where she focused on growing iMADdu, the educational nonprofit (501c3) she founded in 2010. iMADdu stands for "I Make A Difference, Do You?" and empowers young entrepreneurs through mentoring and participation in its Student Apprenticeship Program. Olsen was the assistant director of the Mason Small Business Development Center at the Office of Research and Economic Development at George Mason University. She also worked as a worldwide sales analyst for Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts.
Honors and Awards
- Engaged Cornell Faculty Fellowship (2017-2018)
- International Academic Partnership Program Cuba at Cornell University Grant 2016-2017
- Zalaznick Teaching Assistantship Award 2016-2017
- Project Funds for North America Grant 2015 from the Norwegian Centre for International Cooperation in Education (SIU)
- Zalaznick Teaching Assistantship Award 2015-2016
- Luigi Einaudi Chair Innovation Grant (Cornell Institute for European Studies) 2015-16
- Mario Einaudi Center for International Studies 2015 Small Grant Competition
- International Academic Partnership Program Norway at Cornell University Grant 2014-2015
- SPOC Grant for from the Office of the Vice Provost at Cornell University 2014-2015
- Zalaznick Teaching Assistantship Award 2014-2015
- Coleman Faculty Entrepreneurship Fellows Program OSP #73625/A001 2014-2015
- Fulbright Full-Grant to Norway 2012-2013
- George Mason University Dissertation Completion Fellowship 2012-2013
- College of Education and Human Development at Mason Fellowship Award 2012-2013
- Virginia State Start Nomination 2012
- Hot Mommas Project Finalist 2012-2013
- Northern Virginia Technology Council Entrepreneurial Navigator Organization Finalist 2012
- George Mason University Team Excellence Award 2011
- U.S. Small Business Administration Region III Service Center for Excellence & Innovation 2011
- Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Sales Office 2007
- Club Manager’s Association of America Student Chapter of the Year 2005
- Golden Key International Honor Society 2004
- HVS Models of Excellence Award 2004
- Ye Hosts Honorary Society 2004
- Montauk Yacht Club Employee of the Month Award July 2000
|2012 ‐ 2013||Fulbright Grant, University of Stavanger ‐ Norwegian Hotel School|
|2013||Ph.D., George Mason University ‐ Graduate School of Education|
|2008||M.S., University of Virginia ‐ McIntire School of Commerce|
|2004||B.S., Cornell University School of Hotel Administration|
545B Statler Hall
Utility and Disruption: Technology for the Entrepreneurs in Hospitality: Highlights ...
Center for Hospitality Research Roundtable Highlights (2015)
The inaugural Technology Entrepreneurship Roundtable brought thirty leading tech professionals and entrepreneurs to the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration ...