|September 2015 - Present||Professor and Benavides Faculty Scholar, Missouri University of Science and Technology ‐ Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering|
|September 2012 - August 2015||Associate Professor, Missouri University of Science and Technology ‐ Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering|
|January 2013||Senior Researcher, Missouri University of Science and Technology ‐ Materials Research Center|
|September 2006 - September 2010||Assistant Professor, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Washington State University|
Seismic behavior of unreinforced masonry (URM) structures, Application of Fiber Reinforced Polymers (FRP) in strengthening and repair of masonry/reinforced concrete structures, Seismic behavior of reinforced concrete bridges, Damage-free bridge columns, Segmental construction, and Rocking mechanics and the use of sustainable materials in seismic prone regions
Honors and Awards
- Inaugural Benavides Faculty Scholar (Mid-Career Endowed Chair), 9/2015 – 9/2018
- Elected member, Board of Directors, The Masonry Society, 2013 - present
- Outstanding Reviewer, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 2013
- ExCEEd New Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award, ASCE, Northern Arizona University, July 15 – 20, 2007
- The University of Auckland Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, 1/2005 – 8/2006.
- Fellowship, German Academic Exchange Service, Dresden University of Technology, 12/7/2003 – 12/18/2003.
- Postgraduate Scholarship, Federal Commission for Scholarships (FCS), Switzerland, 7/2000 – 3/2003.
- Egyptian Government Award of Excellence in Undergraduate Studies in the Faculty of Engineering, 10/1/1992 – 7/1/1993 and 10/1/1994 – 7/1/1997
- Plastic Analysis and Design of Metal Structures
- Advanced Structural Masonry Design
- Advanced Steel Design
- Steel Design
|2004||Ph.D. in Structural Engineering, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne|
|1997||B.Sc. (magna cum laude) Civil Engineering, Cairo University|
|1997||M.Sc. in Structural Engineering, Cairo University|
Missouri University of Science and Technology
324 Butler-Carlton Hall
1401 N. Pine St.
Rolla, MO 65409-0030
Phone: (573) 341-6947
Research Works (58)
Durability of Hollow-Core GFRP-Concrete-Steel Columns under Severe Weather Conditions
Journal of Composites for Construction (2019)
One of the emerging applications of fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP) tubes is hollow-core FRP-concrete-steel (HC-FCS) columns. HC-FCS columns demonstrate superior advantages ...
Pseudo-Static Cyclic Loading Comparison of Reinforced Masonry Walls Strengthened with ...
Construction and Building Materials (2018)
Fiber reinforced polymer (FRP) composites have demonstrated poor performance in high temperature environments where the glass transition temperature of the ...
Behavior of Hollow-Core FRP-Concrete-Steel Columns under Static Cyclic Flexural Loading
Journal of Structural Engineering (United States) (2018)
This paper presents the seismic behavior of hollow-core fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP)-concrete-steel (HC-FCS) columns comparable with the conventional RC column. The ...
Fresh Properties and Compressive Strength of High Calcium Alkali Activated ...
Journal of King Saud University - Engineering Sciences (2017)
This paper reports the fresh properties and compressive strength of high calcium alkali-activated fly ash (AAFA) mortar. Two different sources ...
Effectiveness of FRCM System in Strengthening Reinforced Masonry Walls Subjected ...
Proceedings of the 2017 IABSE Conference (2017, Vancouver, Canada) (2017)
Much of the research on the strengthening of masonry structures has focused on strengthening of unreinforced masonry structures; as a ...
Dynamic and Static Behavior of Hollow-Core FRP-Concrete-Steel and Reinforced Concrete ...
This paper presents the difference in behavior between hollow-core fiber reinforced polymer-concrete-steel (HC-FCS) columns and conventional reinforced concrete (RC) columns ...