About Marie-Line Germain, Ph.D.
Marie-Line Germain is a research, teaching and service award-winning Associate Professor of Human Resources and Leadership at Western Carolina University (a campus of the University of North Carolina system). Her Ph.D. is in Leadership with a specialization in Human Resource Development.
Dysfunctional leadership, organizational psychology, and human resource development, with a specific focus on the concept of human expertise and mental health in the workplace (suicide in the workplace).
Many manuscripts presented at national and international conferences and has published book chapters and research articles in peer-reviewed journals such as Human Resource Development Quarterly, Human Resource Development Review, Human Resource Development International, Performance Improvement Quarterly, Advances in Developing Human Resources, etc.
RESEARCH PROFESSIONAL SERVICE:
Current review board member for the journal Career Development International and for the Mentoring and Coaching in Education journal. She was on the Reviewer Board for The Journal of International Business Studies and is an ad-hoc reviewer for half a dozen peer-reviewed journals.
Professional organizations memberships: The American Psychological Association, the Academy of Management, the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, the Academy of Human Resource Development. Former member of the Southern Management Association.
She is the current Book Review Editor for the European Journal of Training and Development.
She is a leadership member of the Eastern Academy of Management international.
Also, she and three research colleagues from Canada and France are in the process of creating an international coalition on Suicide Prevention in the Workplace.
Several national grants and research awards (including the national and competitive "Dissertation of the Year Award" from AHRD), several reviewer awards, national, competitive grants and service awards.
VISITING SCHOLAR and PROFESSOR / INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE:
2016: visting scholar in Ghana, Africa (awaiting confirmation)
2015: visiting scholar in South Korea
2014: visiting professor in Finland
2014: visiting scholar in Japan through the Japan Studies Institute
Presented her research at international conferences (India, The Netherlands, Brazil, France, Canada, India, and Peru).
Lived in Paris, France for 25 years and studied at Stirling University, Scotland for one year.
Extensive international travel experience throughout Europe, Asia and the Americas.
Since 2011, she has been a pro-bono HR consultant to over 32 nonprofits, small businesses and local government agencies in SC, NC, TN, and VA since 2011. She has led 75 consulting projects.
Before her career in academia, Dr. Germain was a marketing manager for the 2nd largest timeshare exchange company in the U.S.
HOBBIES: Improv theater, dancing 1920s Charleston, flying single-engine airplanes (private pilot license) and politics (one at a time).
Human Resource Development, Industrial Psychology, Leadership, Nonprofit HR Consulting, and International Organizational Behavior
Honors and Awards
- Faculty Scholarship Award. St. Thomas University - 2008
- Cutting Edge Research Award from the Academy of Human Resource Development - 2007
- Ph.D. Dissertation awarded the Malcolm S. Knowles Dissertation of the Year award - 2006
- Best Reviewer, Southern Management Association. 2007 - Track: Management Education-History
- Best Reviewer, Southern Management Association. 2006 - Track: Management Education-History
- Best Reviewer, Southern Management Association. 2005 - Track: Human Resources / Careers
- Best Reviewer, Southern Management Association. 2004 - Track: Management Education-History
- Named to Who’s Who in America. 60th and 61st Editions. 2009, 2007 and 2006
- Named to Who’s Who in Humanities Higher Education. 2005
- Barry University Graduate Scholarship. 2004-2006
- Nominated to run for Treasurer. Southern Management Association. 2007
- Named to Manchester Who’s Who among Executive and Professional Women – 2004/2005 Honors Edition
- University of Miami Purple Iris Award for Outstanding Teaching from Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority (Fall 2004)
- University of Miami Purple Iris Award for Outstanding Teaching from Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority (Spring 2004)
- Best Faculty of the Quarter – City College Miami - 2006
- Best Faculty of the Quarter – City College Miami - 2001
- STAR Community Engagement Award - 2015
- Integration of Leaning Award - 2010
- Integration of Learning Award (nominated) - 2012
- Curtis W. Wood Award for Excellent in Student Teaching and Mentoring - 2015.
- Forward Publishing Award, AHRD - 2015
- HR675 / Leadership in HR
- HR670 / Human Resources Consulting
- HR645 / Employee and Labor Relations
- HR660 / Talent Management
- HR610 / Human Resource Development
- HR693 / Organizational Behavior in HR