|Present||Professor, Portland State University ‐ Computer Science|
Honors and Awards
- Regents' Fellowship, University of Michigan, 1984–1988
- Fellowship, Michigan Society of Fellows, University of Michigan, 1990–1993
- Ulam Memorial Lectureship, Santa Fe Institute, 1997
- 21st Century Research Award, J.S. McDonnell Foundation, 2002–2007
- Member of the Science Board, Santa Fe Institute, 2008–present
- Member of the Science Steering Committee, Santa Fe Institute, 2010–present
- Winner of Phi Beta Kappa Society 2010 Science Book Award for Complexity: A Guided Tour
Department of Computer Science
Portland State University
P.O. Box 751
Portland, OR 97207-0751
Tel.: (503) 725-2412
Computer Vision (3)
Interpreting individual classifications of hierarchical networks
Computational Intelligence and Data Mining (CIDM), 2013 IEEE Symposium on (2013)
Hierarchical networks are known to achieve high classification accuracy on difficult machine-learning tasks. For many applications, a clear explanation of ...
Complex Systems, General (10)
A Complex-Systems Perspective on the “Computation vs. Dynamics” Debate in ...
Computer Science Faculty Publications and Presentations (1998)
I review the purported opposition between computational and dynamical approaches in cognitive science. I argue that both computational and dynamical ...
Recent Works (5)
Semantic Image Retrieval via Active Grounding of Visual Situations
IEEE 12TH International Conference On Semantic Computing (ICSC) (2018)
We describe a novel architecture for semantic image retrieval-in particular, retrieval of instances of visual situations. Visual situations are concepts ...