Skip to main content
Article
Iowa Greenhouse Applicators' Preceptions and Use of Personal Protective Equipment
Journal of Environmental Health
  • Janis Stone, Iowa State University
  • Steven Padgitt, Iowa State University
  • Wendy Wintersteen, Iowa State University
  • Mack C Shelley, II, Iowa State University
  • Sandra Chisholm, Iowa State University
Document Type
Article
Publication Date
1-1-1994
Abstract

A mail survey of Iowa greenhouse pesticide applicators was conducted in 1992 to establish benchmark data concerning use of personal protective equipment (PPE), safety attitudes, and experience with pesticide-related illness symptoms before the implementation of the Worker Protection Standard for Agricultural Pesticides. A 72% response rate provided 185 observations revealing that 79% were employees of firms, but the remaining 21% were self-employed. Hypotheses of difference in use of P PE between the self-employed and employees of firms were not confirmed except with relation to use of regular work gloves, disposable coveralls, and boots. Applicators' clothing was reported to meet pesticide label requirements. Few applicators reported acute or chronic health effects associated with pesticide use, and no differences we refound between the employees and the self-employed. Most (72%) employees decided when to replace their uniforms. This' study demonstrated that greenhouse applicators want further information about PPE and need education about its laundering and storage.

Comments

This article is from Journal of Environmental Health 57 (1994): 16. Posted with permission.

Rights
Posted with permission from the Journal of Environmental Health, a publication of the National Environmental Health Association, www.neha.org. Further posting of this article is restricted. For permission, contact jeh@neha.org.
Copyright Owner
Journal of Environmental Health
Language
en
File Format
application/pdf
Citation Information
Janis Stone, Steven Padgitt, Wendy Wintersteen, Mack C Shelley, et al.. "Iowa Greenhouse Applicators' Preceptions and Use of Personal Protective Equipment" Journal of Environmental Health Vol. 57 Iss. 3 (1994) p. 16 - 22
Available at: http://works.bepress.com/mack_shelley/19/