About Luisa Briones
Her areas of expertise are 20th- and 21st- century film and media culture, film adaptation, historical memory in Spanish cinema and literature, and gender studies. She uses an interdisciplinary approach to cinema and literature in order to research Iberian identity in fiction during the periods of the Second Republic, dictatorship, and current democracy. Her work focuses on depictions of gender and postmodernist interpretations of Iberian cultural history to investigate the (im)possibilities of producing both an unbiased depiction of gender and a politically-neutral representation of the Spanish Civil War.
|Present||Visiting Assistant Professor, Hamilton College|
Professional Service and Affiliations
|2010 - Present||Coordinator, ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview||2010 - Present||Director, Teaching Assistants||2009 - Present||Advisor, First Year and Major Spanish Students||2010 - 2016||Advisor, Teaching Fellows||2015||Co-organiser, Spanish Tutoring at Clinton Elementary School||2014||Faculty Advisor, Alternative Spring Break in San Ramón, Nicaragua||2009||Advisor, Spanish Club||2008||Editor, Encuentros, Bulletin Hispanic Studies Department|
Honors and Awards
- Grant, Arthur Levitt Public Affairs Center, Course Development on Theory and Practice of Social Change, Hamilton College 2017.
- Grant, Digital Humanities Initiative (DHi), “Recovering a Lost Memory: Digital Depictions of the Spanish Civil War and its Aftermath,” Hamilton College, 2016.
- Grant, PRAGDA Spanish Film Club Festival, Hamilton College, Spring 2016.
- Certificate of Merit in Language Pedagogy given by the Faculty and the Dean of Hamilton College, 2008-2009.
- Summer Research Grant, Center for International Partnerships and Programs, Department of Romance Languages & Literatures, Boston College, Summer 2006.
- Scholarship USA, Franklin Institute, Universidad de Alcalá, 1999.
Book Chapters (4)
Contribution to Book
Idealizaciones y protestas políticas: la memoria histórica en Libertarias (1996 ...
Memoria histórica y cine documental (2015)
Esta comunicación analiza la representación del grupo anarquista Mujeres Libres en la película Libertarias (1996) de Vicente Aranda. El director ...