Curriculum Studies, Social Studies Teacher Education, Currere, Innovative Pedagogies, Alternative Environments, Multicultural Education, Foundations of Education, Learning with Popular Culture & Public Pedagogy, Disney & Education, School Culture & Environments, Democratic Classrooms, and Qualitative Research
|2018 - 2023||Integrating STEM and Literacy with Computation in Elementary Education (i-SLICEE)|
|Teacher Quality Partnership Grant Program, US Department of Education|
|Colleague(s): Renee Moran, Karin Keith, Laura Robertson, Thomas Jones|
|2008||Fostering reading fluency and mathematics competencies|
|Dean’s Collaborative Mini-Grant|
|Colleague(s): Barnett, K., Brickell, M., & Dwyer, E. J.|
Professional Service and Affiliations
|Present||Member, American Association for the Advancement of Curriculum Studies||Present||Member, American Educational Research Association||Present||Member, College and University Faculty Assembly of the NCSS||Present||Member, Currere Exchange||Present||Member, Curriculum & Pedagogy Group||Present||Member, International Association for the Advancement of Curriculum Studies||Present||Member, International Society for the Social Studies||Present||Member, National Association of Multicultural Education||Present||Member, National Council for the Social Studies||Present||Member, Tennessee Council for the Social Studies||Present||Member, Tennessee Geographic Alliance||Present||Member, The American Association for Teaching & Curriculum|
Honors and Awards
- 2008 - Alumni Return to the Classroom honoree
- 2008 - Appointment as Associate Member of the Graduate Faculty Status at ETSU
- 2009 - Selected to attend the AERA Division B, New Faculty Mentoring Program
- 2009 - Presidential Grant-In-Aid Professional Development Travel Award
- 2011 - Selected to attend the AERA Division G Pre-Conference Workshop
- 2015 - Featured in ETSU’s Illuminated Graduate Magazine
- 2015 - Received the Clemmer College of Education Level Outstanding Faculty Award for Teaching (ETSU)
- 2016 - Granted Non-Instructional Leave for Research and Writing Projects (One Semester)
- 2017 - Selected as an ETSU INtopFORM Faculty Fellow for 2017-2018
- 2018 - Received the Excellence in Teaching Award by the Student Chapter of the National Society of Leadership and Success (ETSU)
- 2018 - Received the College of Education Faculty Award for Diversity (ETSU)
- 2019 - Selected to receive an Open Educational Resource Award (OER)
- 2019 - Received the Clemmer College Level Outstanding Faculty Award for Teaching (ETSU)
- 2019 - Received the University Level Distinguished Faculty Award for Teaching (ETSU)
- READ 5950 - Action Research in Reading Education (Graduate)
- READ 5120 - Teaching Reading (Graduate)
- CUAI 5220 - Secondary School Curriculum (Graduate)
- CUAI 4210 - Integrated Teaching: Language Arts (Undergraduate)
- CUAI 4707 - Classroom Management (Undergraduate)
- CUAI 5415 - Communications Block: Language Arts (Graduate)
- CUAI 5910 - Assessment Techniques in the Classroom (Graduate)
- CUAI 5455 - Middle Grades Social Studies (Graduate)
- CUAI 5450 - Middle School Curriculum & Assessment (Graduate)
- CUAI 5119 - Elementary School Science (Graduate)
- CUAI 5957 - Readings & Seminar in Curriculum
- CUAI 5707 - Classroom Management (Graduate)
- CUAI 5957 - Special Topics in Curriculum Theory (Graduate)
- CUAI 5121 - Elementary School Social Studies (Graduate)
- CUAI 5199 - Teaching in a Diverse Society (Graduate)
- CUAI 5440 - Elementary School Curriculum & Assessment (Graduate)
- CUAI 4220 - Social Studies Education in a Multicultural Society (Undergraduate)
|2006||DoE, Curriculum & Instruction, University of Central Florida|
|2000||MA, Teaching (Elementary Education K-8), East Tennessee State University|
|1999||BA, English, Milligan College|
PO Box 70684
Johnson City, TN 37614
Office: Warf-Pickel Hall Room 406
Refereed Articles & Chapters (14)
Contribution to Book
Preparing Pre-Service Teachers for the Future: Computational Thinking as a ...
Handbook of Research on Integrating Computer Science and Computational Thinking in K-12 Education (2019)
Book Summary: As technology continues to develop and prove its importance in modern society, certain professions are acclimating. Aspects such ...
Contribution to Book
Foundations for Curriculum Integration
Handbook of Research on Science Literacy Integration in Classroom Environments (Advances in Early Childhood and K-12 Education) (2018)
Book Summary: Secondary schools are continually faced with the task of preparing students for a world that is more connected, ...
Elementary Teachers’ Expectations and Perceptions of School Counselors
Journal of Undergraduate Research and Scholarly Excellence (2015)
This qualitative study explores the expectations and preceptions elementary teachers have of school counselors. Participants were current or past students ...
Refereed Presentations (29)
Using Digital Tools to Cultivate Intellectual Curiosity in Elementary Social ...
International Society for the Social Studies Annual Conference (2019)
This session shares digital learning and instructional design tools used in elementary social studies teacher education with a focus on ...
Currere Narratives with Pre-Service Elementary Teachers: Towards Transformative Social Studies ...
American Educational Research Association Conference (2018)
This paper examines the curricular intersection of social studies teacher education with Pinar’s (2012) seminal currere process. Woven together in ...