About Judi Brownell
Judi Brownell is a professor at the School of Hotel Administration. She teaches courses in organizational behavior and management communication. Brownell has international teaching experience and her on-line eCornell executive courses are taken worldwide. Brownell’s research projects include studies on managerial listening behavior and the competencies required for global hospitality leaders. She has created tools to assess employee-organization fit and the communication of service values. Her current research focuses on listening as it relates to communicating and maintaining service quality standards in the international cruise industry. Brownell has authored several textbooks, published over 80 articles and serves on several editorial boards. She is also past president of the International Listening Association and has received awards for her research in this field. Brownell has conducted training and consulting for a wide range of hospitality organizations. Among her projects, she has designed assessment centers for hospitality leadership development. A seasoned administrator, Brownell has served as the school's associate dean for academic affairs, dean of students, and director for graduate studies. She has also been academic area director for both the organization behavior and management communication disciplines.
Honors and Awards
- Industry Relevance Award, Center for Hospitality Research, 2012.
- Invited to join prestigious board, International Society for the Study of Interpersonal Processes, 2000.
- Listening Hall of Fame, highest award of the International Listening Association, 1995- recognized a second time in 2004.
- Best Article Award, MCB Press (International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management), 1994.
- Research Award in Listening, International Listening Association, 1990, 1993, 2001.
- President's Award, International Listening Association, 1999, 2006.
- Brother, Kappa-Lambda, Delta Sigma Pi.
|BS, Ithaca College ‐ Communication/Theatre and Literature|
|PhD, Syracuse University ‐ Interdisciplinary in Organization Studies|
|MS, State University of New York College at Cortland ‐ Communication Education|
Management & Organizational Behavior
336 Statler Hall
The Management Development Program: A Competency-Based Model for Preparing Hospitality ...
Articles and Chapters (2001)
As management educators increasingly focus their attention on instructional outcomes, competency-based education has emerged as an important component in graduate ...