About J.S. Nelson
I am a professor of law, expert legal consultant, and start-up advisor. I write on business issues, entrepreneurship, ethics, the federal courts, and white collar crime.
My research and writing is at the intersection of criminal and corporate law. I concentrate on the way legal rules shape ethical behavior within business organizations and the impact of different frameworks on white collar crime.
|2021 - Present||Visiting Associate Professor, Harvard Business School|
|June 2017 - Present||Associate Professor of Law (Business Ethics) (on leave 2021-22), Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law ‐ Law & Business Schools|
|2015 - Present||Senior Fellow Zicklin Center for Business Ethics Research, University of Pennsylvania ‐ Wharton School|
|2001 - Present||HLS Affiliate, Harvard University|
|2013 - 2017||Advisor, Center for Entrepreneurial Studies, Stanford University ‐ Graduate School of Business|
Legal & Ethical Environment of Business, Commercial Law, Legal Aspects of Entrepreneurship, New Venture Creation & Funding, White Collar Crime, Contracting, Civil Rights, Employment Law
Honors and Awards
- • Senior Fellow, Carol and Lawrence Zicklin Center for Business Ethics Research, The Wharton School at the Univ. of Pennsylvania (2015-16 & 2016-17)
- • Gaylord Jentz Memorial Scholarship, Academy of Legal Studies in Business (2015)
- • Outstanding Proceedings Award, Nat’l Conf. of the Acad. of Legal Studies in Business (2015)
- • Outstanding Paper, Pacific Southwest Acad. of Legal Studies in Business (2014)
- • Best Paper Award, Western Acad. of Legal Studies in Business (2014 & 2016)
- • Carol and Lawrence Zicklin Center for Business Ethics Research Seminar in Normative Business Ethics, The Wharton School at the Univ. of Pennsylvania (2014)
- • Huber Hurst Research Seminar in Legal Studies and Ethics, Warrington College of Business Admin. at the Univ. of Florida (2014)
- • Distinguished Proceedings Paper, Nat’l Conf. of the Acad. of Legal Studies in Business (2013)
- Law & Management
- Business Ethics
- Corporate & White Collar Crime
- Business Organizations
- Commercial Law
- Legal Environment of Business
Contribution to Book
Bringing Ethics Back to Friedman’s Call to Purpose for ...
MILTON FRIEDMAN 50 YEARS LATER, A REEVALUATION (2020)
Fifty years ago, Friedman compellingly presented his argument for shareholder primacy. But as currently implemented, shareholder primacy threatens the unifying ...
Straight Talk About the Business Ethics of Workplace Surveillance
Ethical Systems Blog; intro and video interview republished in Ethical Systems Newsletter (2020)
Intro by Ethical Systems: In mid-May, I spoke with J.S. Nelson, a Villanova University professor of law and business ethics ...