About J.S. Nelson
I am a professor of law, expert legal consultant, and start-up advisor. I write on business issues, entrepreneurship, ethics, the federal courts, and white collar crime.
My research and writing is at the intersection of criminal and corporate law. I concentrate on the way legal rules shape ethical behavior within business organizations and the impact of different frameworks on white collar crime.
|2022 - Present||Visiting Researcher, Program on Negotiation, Harvard University ‐ Harvard Law School|
|June 2017 - Present||Professor of Law (2022-); Assoc. Prof. (2017-22); on leave 2021-23, Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law ‐ Law & Business Schools|
|2015 - Present||Senior Fellow Zicklin Center for Business Ethics Research, University of Pennsylvania ‐ Wharton School|
|2001 - Present||HLS Affiliate, Harvard University|
|2021 - 2022||Visiting Associate Professor, Harvard Business School|
|2013 - 2017||Advisor, Center for Entrepreneurial Studies, Stanford University ‐ Graduate School of Business|
Legal & Ethical Environment of Business, Commercial Law, Legal Aspects of Entrepreneurship, New Venture Creation & Funding, White Collar Crime, Contracting, Civil Rights, Employment Law
Honors and Awards
- • Senior Fellow, Carol and Lawrence Zicklin Center for Business Ethics Research, The Wharton School at the Univ. of Pennsylvania (2015-16 & 2016-17)
- • Gaylord Jentz Memorial Scholarship, Academy of Legal Studies in Business (2015)
- • Outstanding Proceedings Award, Nat’l Conf. of the Acad. of Legal Studies in Business (2015)
- • Outstanding Paper, Pacific Southwest Acad. of Legal Studies in Business (2014)
- • Best Paper Award, Western Acad. of Legal Studies in Business (2014 & 2016)
- • Carol and Lawrence Zicklin Center for Business Ethics Research Seminar in Normative Business Ethics, The Wharton School at the Univ. of Pennsylvania (2014)
- • Huber Hurst Research Seminar in Legal Studies and Ethics, Warrington College of Business Admin. at the Univ. of Florida (2014)
- • Distinguished Proceedings Paper, Nat’l Conf. of the Acad. of Legal Studies in Business (2013)
- Law & Management
- Business Ethics
- Corporate & White Collar Crime
- Business Organizations
- Commercial Law
- Legal Environment of Business
Contribution to Book
Bringing Ethics Back to Friedman’s Call to Purpose for ...
MILTON FRIEDMAN 50 YEARS LATER, A REEVALUATION (2020)
Fifty years ago, Friedman compellingly presented his argument for shareholder primacy. But as currently implemented, shareholder primacy threatens the unifying ...