|Present||Adjunct Member, Georgia Regents University Cancer Center|
|Present||Associate Professor, Department of Community Health, Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health, Georgia Southern University|
Health services accessibility-United States, World health, Hispanic Americans-Health and hygiene, Immigrants-Health and hygiene, Foreign workers-Health and hygiene, Migrant labor-Health and hygiene, Community based participatory research (CBPR), Cancer-Prevention, Lay health advisors, Medical anthropology, and Social marketing
Honors and Awards
- Award for Excellence in Research, Georgia Southern University (2013-2014)
- Award for Service, JP Hsu College of Public Health (2013)
- Award for Excellence in Research and Creative Scholarly Activity, Georgia Southern University (2012-13)
- Award for Scholarship, JP Hsu College of Public Health (2011-12)
- American Association for Cancer Research, Minority Scholar in Cancer Research Award (2010)
- Fellow, Advanced Training Institute in Health Behavior Theory, National Cancer Institute (2010)
- Fellow, Society for Applied Anthropology, (2010)
- American Association for Cancer Research, Susan G. Komen for the Cure Scholar-in-Training Award (2009)
- Outstanding Research Award Oral Presentation, Moffitt Cancer Center Fellows’ Education Research Symposium (2009)
- NIH Health Disparities Loan Repayment Program (2007-09)
- USF Hispanic Heritage Award, Alumni Recipient (2007)
- Phi Kappa Phi Outstanding Graduate Student Scholarship (2004)
- USF Latino Graduate Fellowship (2000-04)
- Community-Based Research in Public Health (blended, doctoral course)
- Seminar in Community Health (doctoral course)
- Research Methods in Community and Behavioral Health (doctoral course)
- Communication for Change (graduate course)
- Ecologically Focused Program Evaluation (graduate course)
- Research Methods in Health Science (graduate course)
PO Box 8015
Statesboro, GA 30460
Phone: (912) 478-2414
Contribution to Book
Addressing Obesity and Associated Medical Conditions in Latino Immigrant Communities ...
The Applied Anthropology of Obesity: Prevention, Intervention, and Identity (2015)
Georgia Southern University faculty members Lohn S. Luque, Moya L. Alfonso, and Yelena N. Tarasenko co-authored "Addressing Obesity and Associated ...
Cultural Beliefs and Understandings of Cervical Cancer among Mexican Immigrant ...
Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health (2015)
Rural Mexican immigrant women in the U.S. are infrequently screened and experience health disparities from cervical cancer. We explored cancer-related ...
Introducing Biospecimen Science to Communities: Tools from Two Cities
Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action (2015)
Background: This article describes community-engaged processes employed by two Community Network Program Center (CNPC) sites located in Tampa, Florida, and ...
Recommendations and Administration of the HPV Vaccine to 11-to-12-Year Old ...
Journal of Lower Genital Tract Disease (2014)
Objective: This study explores the prevalence and provider- and practice-related correlates of physician recommendation and administration of the quadrivalent human ...
Ethics of Clear Health Communication: Applying the CLEAN Look Approach ...
Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved (2012)
Cancer innovations, such as biobanking technologies, are continuously evolving to improve our understanding and knowledge about cancer prevention and treatment ...