|Present||Professor, East Tennessee State University ‐ Educational Foundations and Special Education, College of Education|
Honors and Awards
- 1987 - Nominated Outstanding Student CEC Member
- 1988 - Herbert Prehm Award Recipient for Outstanding Graduate Student Research in Mental Retardation, CEC-Division on Mental Retardation
- 1988-1989 - Dissertation Fellowship Award Recipient, SIU-Carbondale Graduate School, Carbondale, IL
- 1989 - Outstanding Young Men of America
- 1991 - Nominated as Outstanding Teacher, University of South Dakota,
- 1992-1993 - Nominated as Outstanding Teacher, University of South Dakota
- 1992 - Commendation for Distance Teaching, Recognized by the South Dakota Rural Development Telecommunications Network, State of South Dakota
- 1996 - Inductee, Herrin High School Athletic Hall of Fame
- 1996 - Certificate of Recognition for Contribution from the CEC Division on Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities, Austin, TX
- 1996-1997 - Nominated “Professor of the Year” as recognized by the Panhellinic Council at Tennessee Technological University
- 1997 - Awarded 1st place for Poster Presentations at the 1997 SEAAMR Meeting, Lousville, KY
- 1999 - Certificate of Recognition for Outstanding Teaching, TTU Mortar Board Society
- 2000-2001 - Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers
- 2002 - Recipient, Caplenor Research Award, Tennessee Technological University
- 2002 - TTU President’s Commendation for Teaching
- 2005 - Outstanding Presentation Award, IASE Conference, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- 2009 - Who’s Who in America
- 2015 - Outstanding Presentation Award, IASE Conference, Wroclaw, Poland
|1989||PhD, Special Education, Southern Illinois University Carbondale|
|1986||MS, Southern Illinois University|
|1985||BS, Therapeutic Recreation, Southern Illinois University|
PO Box 70547
Johnson City, TN 37614
Office: Warf-Pickel 510
Refereed Articles (50)
Intrusiveness of Behavioral Treatments for Adults with Intellectual Disability
Research in Developmental Disabilities (2014)
The current study examined treatment intrusiveness within behavior intervention programs developed for adults with intellectual disability (ID). Behavior analysts provided ...
Intrusiveness of Behavioral Treatments for Children with Autism and Developmental ...
Education and Training in Autism and Developmental Disabilities (2014)
The behaviors frequently displayed by students with autism can place them at risk for overly reactive behavior interventions with unwanted ...
Effectiveness of Gluten-Free and Casein-Free Diets for Individuals with Autism ...
Education and Training in Autism and Developmental Disabilities (2013)
In order to better assist practitioners and better serve persons with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) and their families, it is ...
A Meta-Analysis of Peer-Mediated Interventions for Young Children with Autism ...
Education and Training in Autism and Developmental Disabilities (2011)
This meta-analysis investigated the efficacy of peer-mediated interventions for promoting social interactions among children from birth to eight years of ...
Analyzing the Treatment Efficacy of a Technical Assistance Model for ...
Preventing School Failure: Alternative Education for Children and Youth (2010)
The reauthorization of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act of 1997 emphasized the use of positive behavioral interventions, supports, and ...
An Analysis of Evidence-Based Practices in the Education of Learners ...
Educational Training in Autism and Developmental Disabilities (2010)
Horner et al. (2005) present a review substantiating how single-subject research methodology can be utilized to determine whether interventions are ...
Analysis of Behavioural Responding Across Multiple Instructional Conditions for a ...
Journal of Research in Special Education Needs (2007)
The effects of multiple instructional conditions on self-injury/aggression and on-task behaviours were assessed with a 9-year-old boy diagnosed with childhood ...
Promoting the Development of Educational Programs for Children with Autism ...
International Journal of Special Education (2007)
Children with autism generally face significant challenges in such areas as normal social interaction, communication, and independent daily functioning, which ...