|August 2016 - Present||Associate Professor, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, University of South Florida|
|Present||Associate Professor of Education, University of South Florida|
Honors and Awards
- Ian Axford (NZ) Fellowship in Public Policy, 2014
- USFSM Faculty Service Award, 2013
- Community Engaged Researcher Award, Florida Campus Compact, 2012
- USF Women in Leadership and Philanthropy Faculty Research Award, 2011
- Emory University Humanitarian Award, 2004
- Delegate to the 2001 United Nations World Conference Against Racism, Durban, South Africa
- Rotary International Graduate Fellowship Recipient to Trinity College Dublin, Ireland, 1980
- Honors Seminar: Migration
- International and Multicultural Perspectives in Education
- Schools and Society (Critical Pedagogy)
Ezati, B. A., McBrien, J. L., Stewart, J., & Ssempala, C. (in press). Ebbs and flows: Factors related to parent involvement with education in Northern Ugandan. Australasian Review of African Studies.
Crossing international and research boundaries: From subject to author for ...
International Scholarly Research Network (IRSN) Education Journal (2012)
Scholars in training, including qualitative researchers, are often cautioned about their relationship to their research participants with the notion that ...
Book Chapters (6)
McBrien, J. L. (2016). Refugees and asylum seekers. A. Peterson, R. Hattam, M. Zembylas, & J. Arthur (Eds.), The Palgrave international handbook of education for citizenship and social justice. Palgrave MacMillan.
McBrien, J. L., & Byers, J. (Eds.) (2015). Cold water: Women and girls of Lira, Uganda. Kampala, Uganda: Fountain Publishers