Second language writing, Computer-assisted language learning, Writing instruction, Language teaching, Language technology, Information literacy, Writing pedagogy, Second language learning, TESOL, L2 writing instruction and assessment, Corpus linguistics, Discourse analysis, Language testing, and Research methods in applied linguistics
Honors and Awards
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) Fellowship, Georgia Southern University (2017)
- Honorable Mention, 2015 Best Article Award, "Rethinking the Role of Autmoated Writing Evaluation (AWE) Feedback in ESL Writing Instruction," Journal of Second Language Writing (2016)
- Freda Huncke Endowment Graduate Teaching Fellowship, Department of English, Iowa State University (2008)
- Grannis Scholarship, Department of English, Iowa State University (2008)
- Written, Oral, Visual, and Electronic Composition (2007, 2008)
- Critical Thinking and Communication (2007, 2008)
- First Year Composition (2014)
- ESL Writing, Reading, Listening, and Speaking (2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014)
- ESL Writing Seminar (2012, 2013)
- ESL Academic Writing for Middle School Students (2014)
- English Academic Writing for Second Language Writers (2009-Present)
- Language, Thought, and Action (2010)
- Language, Power, and Politics (2013, 2014, 2017)
- Language and Law (2014, 2015)
- Language and Linguistic Theory (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
- Sociolinguistics (2016, 2017)
- Teaching Pronunciation and Speaking/Applied Phonology (2016)
- English for Specific Purposes/Teaching English Internationally (2015, 2016)
|2012||Ph.D. in Applied Linguistics and Technology, Iowa State University ‐ Department of English|
|2012||Graduate Certificate in Quantitative Psychology, Iowa State University ‐ Department of Psychology|
|2004||M.A. in Applied Linguistics, Beijing Foreign Studies University ‐ Graduate School of Translation and Interpretation|
|2002||B.A. in English and International Studies, China Foreign Affairs University ‐ Department of English|
P.O. Box 8026
Statesboro, GA 30460
Phone: (912) 478-5263
Office: 2218C Newton Building
Articles in Refereed Journals (4)
Synchronous Text-Based Computer-Mediated Communication Tasks and the Development of L2 ...
International Journal of Computer-Assisted Language Learning & Teaching (2013)
Studies on the use of synchronous text-based computer-mediated communication (SCMC) tasks have mostly focused on how they could be used ...
Entries in Encyclopedias (1)
Papers in Conference Proceedings (1)
Panel Organization (1)
Assessment Across Online Language Education: Documenting Interaction, Autonomy, and Learning ...
Computer Assisted Language Instruction Consortium (CALICO) (2017)
Recent years have witnessed growing concerns about assessment practices in online language learning environments, particularly the lack of empirical evidence ...
Refereed Individual Paper Presentations (15)
Preparing English Language Learners for Academic Writing: A Functional Linguistic ...
Georgia Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages Annual Conference (GATESOL) (2017)
In this presentation, we share a unit of lesson plans for teaching academic writing to middle school English language learners. ...
Just Google It: Investigating Multilingual Writers’ Digital Information Literacy
American Association for Applied Linguistics Annual Conference (AAAL) (2017)
This study examines multilingual students’ information-seeking behaviors through analysis of screen recordings of 50 participants conducting research on a sample ...
Learning Information Literacy Across the Curriculum (LILAC): Discussing Results from ...
Conference on College Composition and Communication (CCCC) (2017)
This panel offers results of the LILAC study with analysis of students’ information-seeking behaviors, pedagogical challenges, and solutions.
LILAC and Citation Project Workshop
Georgia International Conference on Information Literacy (2016)
The LILAC Project (Learning Information Literacy across the Curriculum) is a multi-institutional study of student information-seeking behaviors (lilac-group.blogspot.com). This year ...
Understanding Variations Between Student and Teacher Application of Rubrics
Georgia Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages Annual Conference (GATESOL) (2015)
While rubrics have their limitations, many studies show that they can clarify teacher expectations, and in comparison to a simple ...
Argumentative Discourse in Text-Based Synchronous Computer-Mediated Communication Tasks: Differences between ...
American Association for Applied Linguistics Annual Conference (AAAL) (2013)
This study examines the interaction patterns of the online argumentative discourse of three triads based on sociocultural theories of L2 ...
The Impact of Criterion® on Error Reduction: A Longitudinal Study
Technology for Second Language Learning Annual Conference (TSLL) (2012)
Previous studies on automated writing evaluation (AWE) were mostly based on short-term error reduction (Chodorow, Gamon, & Tetreault, 2010), and ...