|Present||Full Professor, Department of Counselor Education, San Jose State University|
Adult and Continuing Education Administration, Higher Education Administration, International and Comparative Education, Social and Philosophical Foundations of Education, Student Counseling and Personnel Services, Education Policy, Civic and Community Engagement, Community-Based Learning, Community-Based Research, Educational Sociology, Gender and Sexuality, Race and Ethnicity, and Sociology of Culture
Policy and Administration, Comparative and International, Social Mission and Societal Impact, Student Affairs Programs and Administration, Student Development, Leadership, Experiences, and Interactions, Curricular/Co-Curricular Relationship to Student Experience, Growth and Learning, Men and Masculinities, Gender Development and Performance, Gender-Based Violence Prevention and Response, Race and Ethnicity, Faith and Spirituality, Diversity, Social Cohesion, Intercultural and Interfaith Dialogue, and Human Rights, Democratic and Citizenship Education
Professional Service and Affiliations
|2015 - Present||Permanent Member, Committee of Academic Examiners, ManglarEditores, Ecuador||2014 - Present||Advisory Board Member, Social Alternatives||2013 - Present||Advisory Board Member, Beyond Diversity Resource Center||2013 - Present||Program Assessment Reviewer, California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC)||2013 - Present||Program Assessment Manager, Commission on Teacher Credentialing, State of California||2012 - Present||Academic Journal Review Board Member, Canadian Journal of Counselling and Psychotherapy||2012 - Present||Advisory Board Member, Center for the Study of Masculinities and Men’s Development, Western Illinois University||2011 - Present||Academic Journal Review Board Member, Estudios Sobre Educación, Universidad de Navarra Education Press||2011 - Present||Academic Journal Review Board Member, Men and Masculinities||2009 - Present||Academic Journal Review Board Member, Culture, Society and Masculinities Journal||2009 - Present||Academic Journal Review Board, Journal of Student Affairs Research and Practice||2015||Reviewer, Journal of Gender Studies||2007 - 2009||Director, Canadian Association of College & University Student Services (CACUSS)||Member, American Association for College and Universities||Member, American Educational Research Association||Member, Association for Contemplative Mind in Higher Education||Member, European Association for Research in Learning and Instruction||Member, European Society for Research on the Education of Adults||Member, The Comparative and International Education Society||Member, The Society for Research into Higher Education (UK)|
Honors and Awards
- Faculty Award for Excellence, Center for Community Learning & Leadership, San José State University, 2015
- Standing Committee Advocate Award, American College Personnel Association (ACPA), 2015
- Faculty in Residence, ACPA Standing Committee for Graduate Students and New Professionals, 2014-15
- Visiting Scholar, School and College Organization for Prevention Education (SCOPE), 2013
- Newly Published Research Award, National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA) Men and Masculinities Knowledge Community, 2012
- Salzburg Fellow, San José State University, 2011
- Diamond Honoree, ACPA, 2010
- Outstanding Research Award, ACPA Standing Committee for Men, 2006
- Excellence in Leadership Award, College of Saint Benedict/Saint John’s University, 2006
- Teacher of the Year, Honors Program-Saint Cloud State University, 2003-04
- Harry Canon Award for Outstanding Professional Contribution to College Men’s Development and Programs-ACPA Standing Committee for Men, 2004
- First Place, Graduate Social Science Category-University of Arizona Student Showcase, 2002
- Recipient, Multi-Media Grant-Association of College and University Housing Offers-International (ACUHO-I), 1996
- Advisor of the Year-Intermountain Association of College & University Residence Halls (IACURH), 1994-1995
- Dissertation of the Year, Association for Student Judicial Affairs
|MA, Adams State College ‐ Community Counseling|
|BS, Central Michigan University ‐ Interpersonal & Public Communication|
|Ph.D., University of Arizona ‐ Higher Education Administration and Organization|
Book Chapters (8)
Contribution to Book
Taking It Personally: Engaging Democracy, Human Rights and Civic Participation ...
Citizenship, Democracy and Higher Education in Europe, Canada and the USA (2014)
Higher Education is a steward of socialization, a facilitator of social mobility, and a provocateur eliciting individuals' and societies' unrealized ...
The Relevance of Extracurricular Activities for Citizenship: Why Cutting Budget ...
Annales, Series Historia et Sociologia (2018)
Universities are tasked with providing rigorous education and training for successful entry into disciplinary and professional fields. Their instrumental roles ...
Physician, Heal Thyself: A Brief Manifesto on Kindness in Academia ...
Impact of Social Science, London School of Economics and Political Science (2014)
Under the rouse of rigour and seriousness, professional norms in academia often preclude kindness. Jason Laker looks at the issue ...