Skip to main content
Article
A Ten Year (1999-2008) Retrospective Study of Amoebiasis in University Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tropical Biomedicine (2009)
  • Jamaiah Ibrahim, University of Malaya
Abstract
This is a ten year (1999-2008) retrospective study of amebiasis in patients admitted to UMMC. A total of 34 cases were analyzed. The most: common were amebic liver abscess 22(65%) and the rest were amoebic dysentery 12(35%). Majority of the eases occurred among Malaysians 29(85%), with Chinese 14(41%), followed by the Malays 9(26%) and the Indians 6(18%). Foreigners made up of one Indonesian, one Pakistani and three Myanmarese and constituted 5(15%) of the total cases. Males 24(71%) were more commonly affected. Most of the cases occurred between the age group of 40-49 years, 8(23%) and 60 years and above, 8(23%). Age group of 20-50 years constituted 20(60%) of the cases. The most common clinical presentations were fever with chills and rigors 26(76%), diarrhoea 20 (59%), right hypochondrium pain 17(50%), abdominal pain 17(50%), hepatomegaly 16 (47%) and jaundice 7(20%). All were discharged well after treatment except for one case of death in a 69-year old Chinese male with amebic liver abscess.
Keywords
  • Liver-Abscess; Prevalence; Parasites; Diarrhea
Publication Date
2009
Citation Information
Jamaiah Ibrahim. "A Ten Year (1999-2008) Retrospective Study of Amoebiasis in University Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia" Tropical Biomedicine Vol. 26 Iss. 3 (2009)
Available at: http://works.bepress.com/jamaiah_ibrahim/8/