Skip to main content
Article
Pneumocystis Carinii (Jirovecii) Pneumonia (PCP): The Most Common Opportunistic Infection Observed in HIV/AIDS Cases at The University Malaya Medical Centre, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health (2012)
  • Jamaiah Ibrahim, University of Malaya
Abstract
This retrospective study was conducted among 59 HIV/AIDS patients with opportunistic infections admitted to the University Malaya Medical Centre between 2000 and 2009. Fifty-five point nine percent of cases were Chinese, 25.4% were Malays, 11.9% were Indians and 6.8% were of unknown ethnic origin. The male:female ratio was 2.9:1 (44 males and 15 females). The highest prevalence (38.9%) occurred in the 30-39 year old age group. Men comprised 47.7% and women 53.3%; the majority of both were married. The majority of cases were Malaysians (89.8%) and the rest (10.2%) were immigrants. Most of the patients (18.6%) were non-laborers, followed by laborers (11.9%), the unemployed (5.1%) and housewives (3.4%). The most common risk factor was unprotected sexual activity (20.3%). The two most common HIV/AIDS related opportunistic infections were Pneumocystis carinii (jirovecii) pneumonia (PCP) (62.7%) and toxoplasmosis (28.8%). Seventy-two point nine percent of patients had a CD4 count <200 cells/mu l and 5.1% had a CD4 count >500 cells/mu l. Eleven point nine percent of cases died during study period. A low CD4 count had a greater association with opportunistic infections. Most of the patients presented with fever (44.1%), cough (42.4%) and shortness of breath (28.8%). Detection of the etiologic pathogens aids clinicians in choosing appropriate management strategies.
Keywords
  • Pneumocystis jirovecii; HIV/AIDS patients; opportunistic infection; Malaysia
Publication Date
2012
Citation Information
Jamaiah Ibrahim. "Pneumocystis Carinii (Jirovecii) Pneumonia (PCP): The Most Common Opportunistic Infection Observed in HIV/AIDS Cases at The University Malaya Medical Centre, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia" Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health Vol. 43 Iss. 4 (2012)
Available at: http://works.bepress.com/jamaiah_ibrahim/3/