This literature review seeks to provide an overview of current understandings and discourse about culturally responsive teaching and cultural awareness in education in Australia. Although some of the literature considered within this review is from an international perspective, the purpose of this review is to provide background information regarding culturally responsive teaching with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students. This literature review was completed in a short time frame and is by no means exhaustive on the topic of culturally responsive teaching and cultural awareness with Indigenous students. It was completed as part of a contract with the VET Development Centre in East Melbourne to complete an evaluation of their Indigenous Cultural Awareness Programs. This literature review systematically reviews the following topics:
- The importance of cultural awareness for Indigenous students;
- Cultural responsiveness in the teaching space;
- The benefits of culturally responsive teaching for students;
- Examples of effective culturally responsive practices in education; and,
- Cultural awareness for the next generation.
Copyright Australian Council for Educational Research 2016
Available at: http://works.bepress.com/jacynta-krakouer/3/