- hospital mergers,
- medical libraries
Abstract: More hospitals are merging or looking for ways to cut costs. Libraries need know how to respond as a result and/or look for way to centralize services.
Format: This session will have brief presentations followed by panel discussion and interactive question and answer
Sponsors: Hospital Library Section, NAHRS
Objectives: This session will provide success stories and lessons learned from librarians who have gone through library centralization or library integration following hospital mergers. Presentations will cover needs assessment/SWOT analysis, licensing, budgeting, technical challenges, staff, solo perspective, and other considerations.
Audience: Hospital librarians looking to centralize services or who have recently merged or will be impacted by a merger in the future.
1) Discuss the benefits of a needs assessment/SWOT analysis when merging
2) List some of the considerations involved in unifying services
3) Study the licensing and budgeting issues faced by merging
4) Recognize technical issues involved in a merger
5) Describe staffing challenges
6) Discuss challenges faced by solos
Instructional Methods: presentations, slides, question/answer, and panel discussion
Participant Engagement: Presenters will actively solicit questions from audience for immediate answer and provide template materials that can be customized for their institution.
Available at: http://works.bepress.com/heather-j-martin/22/