McNamara 2012 Leica SP5 inverted IRM - fringes in center - nice in corner.
Data acquired on a Leica SP5 confocal microscope (DMI 6000 stand), showing several odd behaviors involving somewhat circular fringes in reflection light images.
1. A bullsysye feature mars the center of the field of view.
2. The circular fringes are prominent in the center of the image - these is especially clear in the center 6x zoom image (imaged at oil-coverglass interface here).
3. the circular fringes are absent from some of the corners and edges at 6x zoom (imaged at oil-coverglass interface here). This was a CRITICAL DISCOVERY for me, because it implies that I will be able to offer IRM mode to my imagign core users.
4. The first three images, same field of view, coverglass-specimen (tissue) interface, show a bizarre effect of fringes appearing even in the corners - see bottom left - at 1x zoom, for the 1024x1024 pixel and 2048x2048 pixel image, but are "clean" at 4096x4096 pixel image. I find this completely bizarre: that lower resolution (1kx1k and 2kx2k) images have these fringes, but the higher resolution (4kx4k) does not. This really is data - visible in line graphs.
The LIF file is a subset of the entire experiment. The subset here illustrates the effects. The LIF file can be viewed in MetaMorph 7.7 with the File Open command - use the drop down list at the bottom of the dialog to select a specific image. The free Leica LAS AF Lite viewer program is available from ftp://ftp.llt.de/softlib/LAS_AF_Lite/
- confocal microscopy,
- interference reflection contrast microscopy
- Cancer Biology,
- Cell Anatomy,
- Cell and Developmental Biology,
- Cell Biology,
- Cellular and Molecular Physiology,
- Developmental Biology,
- Genetics and Genomics,
- Laboratory and Basic Science Research,
- Medical Biophysics,
- Medical Biotechnology,
- Medical Cell Biology,
- Medical Pathology,
- Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience,
- Other Analytical, Diagnostic and Therapeutic Techniques and Equipment,
- Other Life Sciences,
- Pathology and
Available at: http://works.bepress.com/gmcnamara/7/