Honors and Awards
- Winner, Accinno Award for Teaching Excellence, Providence College 2014.
- Foreign Scholar Fellowship, Deutsches Archäologisches Institut for study at the Kommission für Alte Geschichte und Epigraphik in Munich, 2013.
- Member, Interdisciplinary Faculty Seminar, Providence College 2013.
- Finalist, Accinno Award for Teaching Excellence, Providence College 2013.
- Mellon Dissertation Seminar Fellowship (“Proving Grounds,” H. Tucker, director) University of Virginia, 2004.
- Seymour Day Fellowship, American School of Classical Studies, Athens 2001-2002.
- Finalist, Seven-Society Award for Outstanding Graduate Teaching, University of Virginia 2001.
- Winner, University Award for Outstanding Graduate Teaching in the Arts and Humanities, University of Virginia 2001.
- Winner, Award for Outstanding Graduate Teaching in History, University of Virginia 2001.
- Award for Excellence in Teaching, Drew University 1999.
- NEH Fellowship, 1997 (to San Diego State University).
- Fulbright Fellowship, 1996 (to Rome).
- Geraldine Dodge Fellowship, 1996 (to Rome).
- CLA 490-491: Advanced Greek/Latin
- DWC 101-102: Development of Western Civilization
- DWC 202: DWC Colloquium “Our Monsters, Ourselves”
- GRK 101-102: Elementary Greek
- GRK 201-202: Intermediate Greek
- HIS 337: Ancient Greece
- HIS 338: Ancient Rome
- HIS 360: Greek and Roman Warfare
- HIS 481: Seminar: Ancient Sparta
- HIS 481: Seminar: Women in the Ancient World
- HIS 481: Seminar: Alexander the Great
- HIS 490: Senior Honors Thesis
- HON 101-102: Development of Western Civilization
- LAT 101-102: Elementary Latin
- LAT 201-202: Intermediate Latin
- SU114M: Seminar: Rise of the Polis (Maymester course)
|2005||Ph.D., University of Virginia ‐ History|
|2001 - 2002||American School of Classical Studies, Athens|
|2000||M.A., University of Virginia ‐ History|
|1996||Summer Seminar, American Academy in Rome|
|1994||M.A., Boston University ‐ Classics|
|1992||B.A., Kenyon College ‐ Classics|
Department of History
1 Cunningham Ave.
Providence, RI 02918
Commanders & Command in the Roman Republic and Early Empire (2015)
In this work, Fred Drogula studies the development of Roman provincial command using the terms and concepts of the Romans themselves as reference points. Beginning in the earliest years of the republic, Drogula argues, provincial ...
Who was Watching Whom? A Reassessment of the Conflict between Germanicus and Piso American Journal of Philology (2015)
Despite Tacitus’ insinuations to the contrary, Cn. Calpurnius Piso (cos. 7 b.c.e.) was no friend and loyal supporter of Emperor Tiberius. The emperor offered Piso the command of Syria in an effort to win over ...
Encyclopedia Entries and Bibliographic Supplements (1)
Book Reviews (6)
Review of Nathan Rosenstein, Rome and the Mediterranean 290 to 146 BC: The Imperial Republic Bryn Mawr Classical Review (2014)
Review of Nathan Rosenstein, Rome and the Mediterranean 290 to 146 BC: The Imperial Republic. The Edinburgh history of ancient Rome. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2012. Pp. xiii, 290. ISBN 9780748623228. $50.00 (pb).
Review of Kathryn Welch, Magnus Pius: Sextus Pompeius and the Transformation of the Roman Republic Bryn Mawr Classical Review (2013)
Review of Kathryn Welch, Magnus Pius: Sextus Pompeius and the Transformation of the Roman Republic. Roman culture in an age of civil war. Swansea: Classical Press of Wales, 2012. Pp. xxv, 364. ISBN 9781905125449. ...
Review of John Richardson, The Language of Empire: Rome and the Idea of Empire from the Third Century BC to the Second Century AD The Classical Journal (2010)
Review of John Richardson, The Language of Empire: Rome and the Idea of Empire from the Third Century BC to the Second Century AD. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2008. Pp. viii + 220. Cloth, $90.00. ...
Review of Michael Pitassi, The Navies of Rome International Journal of Maritime History (2009)
Review of Michael Pitassi, The Navies of Rome. Woodbridge, Suffolk and Rocbester, NY: Boydell Press [www.boydellandbrewer.com], 2008. xxvii + 348 pp., maps, figures, illustrations, colour plates, chapter notes, appendices, bibliography, index. £50, US $90, cloth; ...