Professional Service and Affiliations
|2013 - 2017||Chairman, Individual Events Rules Committee, Christian Communicators of America||2005 - 2012||Founding Member, Individual Events Rules Committee, Christian Communicators of America|
Honors and Awards
- Top Student Paper, National Communication Association, National Forensic Association - 2017
- Top Student Paper, Central States Communication Association, Kenneth Burke Society - 2017
- All-University Graduate Teaching Effectiveness Award, Western Michigan University - 2016
- Departmental Graduate Teaching Effectiveness Award, Western Michigan University - 2016
- Communication and Applied Contexts
|M.A., Ohio University|
|M.A., Western Michigan University|
|B.A., Cedarville University|
Department of Communication
Peer-Reviewed Publications (5)
Fighting the Formula: Adherence to Unspoken Rules Limit the Value of Individual Events Speaker & Gavel (2019)
Forensics is one of the most valuable activities in which college students can be involved. However, the strict adherence to formula and unspoken rules diminishes the educational benefits. This article explores an extensive body of ...
Enacting Compassion: Enactment and the Theory of Image Restoration in Monica Lewinsky's TED Talk, "The Price of Shame" Speaker & Gavel (2018)
Cyberbullying is an ever-growing concern, and its effects are not escaping the public eye. Monica Lewinsky spoke at TED Vancouver in 2015 about the effects of cyberbullying and suggested a change in the cultural attitude ...
Conceptualizing Positive and Negative Experiences and Responses in the Basic Communication Course Basic Communication Course Annual (2018)
The present study used qualitative analysis of 259 students’ positive and negative experiences in the basic course and the ways in which they responded to these events. Students described four negative experiences: poor academic performance, ...