|2008 - Present||Professor Emerita of Linguistics and English, Providence College ‐ Department of English|
|1971 - 2008||Professor of Linguistics and English, Providence College ‐ Department of English|
|1999 - 2003||Director, Center for Teaching Excellence at Providence College, Providence College|
Honors and Awards
- Full tuition, 4-year scholarship to Pembroke College
- Full tuition, NDEA scholarship for M.A.T.
- Full tuition, university scholarship for Ph.D., 1967-1968
- NDEA full fellowship for Ph.D., 1968-1970
- Who's Who Among American Teachers
- Outstanding Scholar Award, American Association of University Professors, Providence College Chapter, 1994
- Linguistics 201-202: Introduction to Linguistics
- Sociology 308: Sociology of Language
- Honors Linguistic Language, Thought, and Culture
- English 306: Modern English Grammar
- Film 201: Analyzing Film (Semiotics of Film)
|1967 - 1972||Ph.D. Linguistics, Brown University|
|1960 - 1965||M.A.T. English, Brown University|
|1957 - 1960||B.Ed. English and Social Studies, Rhode Island College|
Is Schizophrenia a Semiotic Disorder? Replies to Harrod Schizophrenia Bulletin (1986)
While in agreement with Harrod's (1986) evaluation of the relevant data, Chaika and Lambe argue that several conclusions he has inferred from these data exceed what they warrant. In particular, Chaika and Lambe do not ...
The Locus of Dysfunction in Schizophrenic Speech Schizophrenia Bulletin (1985)
The critique by Lanin-Kettering and Harrow (1985) of Chaika's article (1982) overlooks the essential distinction between speech, an overt behavior, and thought, a cognitive process inferred on the basis of many different overt behaviors including ...
At Issue: Thought Disorder or Speech Disorder in Schizophrenia? Schizophrenia Bulletin (1982)
The classification of schizophrenic patients into thought disordered (TD) and non-thought disordered (NTD) is questioned. It is suggested that the terms speech disordered and non-speech disordered are more exact, and that viewing deviant speech structurally ...