Honors and Awards
- Runner-up of FIU’s Worlds Ahead Award, the university Top professor award—came in second to 77-year-old colleague.
- Recipient of FIU’s Excellence in Research Award, awarded by university president at faculty convocation, Fall 2013.
- Recipient of Hayward Burns Award, North East People of Color Conference-for outstanding commitment to community and Excellence in Research, December 2013.
- Keynote address, University of Puerto Rico’s North East People of Color Conference, December 2013.
- Distinguished Lecturer Designation and Keynote address, University of South Texas’s conference on the Constitution and Immigration, May 2013.
- Keynote Address, Lehman College, CUNY Inaugural Conference on Human Rights and Immigration, May 2012.
- 2012 FIU Top Scholar Designation, May 2012.
- American Bar Foundation, Selected as a fellow of the ABF, May 2011.
- American Law Institute, elected to membership, May 2006.
- BLSA Special Faculty Recognition, April 8, 2008(Presented in appreciation for my “continuing service to the student group”).
- FIU Tenure-Track Faculty Appreciation Award, May 2007(Presented in appreciation for my “tireless efforts as Associate Dean to encourage and promote faculty scholarship and service”).
- Hispanic National Bar Association, selected as chair of sub-committee on the Legal Academy, August 2006.
- Faculty Hooding Honor, FIU College of Law, 2005: Elected by the first graduating class to invest them with their academic hoods during commencement.
- Professor of the Year, St. Thomas, 1999-2000 and 1996-1997(between 1996 and 2000, the award was given only these two times).
- Excellence in Teaching & Scholarship Award, St. Thomas University - Barry University, 2001(first law professor to receive this university award).
- Civil Litigation
- Civil Rights/Social Justice
- Constitutional Law
- Contract Law
- Immigration & Nationality Law
- Indigenous Peoples & the Law
- International Human Rights
- Poverty Law
|1988||J. D., University of Wisconsin Law School|
|1985||B.A., Business Management with emphasis in Economics, Lehman College City University of New York|